Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite Mid GTX

Historic Range: $149.96-$199.95
Women's
Price Current Retail: $199.95
Historic Range: $149.96-$199.95

Excellent lightweight, supportive men's multi-day backpacking boot.

Pros

• Great multi-terrain traction
  • Supportive boot
  • Lacing system goes all the way to the toe
  • Great toebox room for my "catlike" feet, if you know what I mean
  • Price doesn't require a personal loan
  • Sturdy canvas construction

Cons

• I'm not a big fan of GoreTex, but these boots don't heat my feet to boiling.

Needed to replace my backpacking boots. As I'm getting older my trips are getting down to 4-6 days with about 45-50 lbs. Trips are also mostly Southwest canyon trails with an occasional 14er thrown in. These trails usually have numerous water crossings.

These boots have been outstanding. I don't have a wide foot, but my toes do like room. These boots are so comfortable. The traction is awesome in all conditions—on slick rock, gravel, creek rocks. They afford terrific support but are not stiff or bulky. I guess I could liken them to beefed up Chuck Taylors.

The insoles were good enough, but I replaced them with Superfeet Trailblazer insoles. I have been extremely satisfied with my Salewas.

Experience

These are my first Salewas. I have hiked in Timberlands, Lowa, and Scarpa. I don't think I'll go back for anything but Salewa.

Price Paid: $160-ish????

Nice review, Star!

Phil Smith

had a pair and liked them a lot, but because I sized up 1/2 size from reviews I got awful blisters. REI didn’t have my size in stock so my Fugitives soldiered on. I think it’s time for a new pair of these.

Star Reynolds

As a matter of fact Phil, the store sized me and wanted to put me in a size 10 but I went with 10 1/2 and have been very happy.