A good all-rounder. I've used this pair for 2,5 years…

Price Paid: 186€

Summary

A good all-rounder.

Pros

• Semi-stiff midsole (good for rock terrain)
  • Better breathability than full grain leather
  • Semi-automatic crampon compatible
  • Rubber rand

Cons

• Not insulated for winter use
  • Sole wore quicker than expected

I've used this pair for 2,5 years extensively in the Cretan mountains on mixed rocky terrain and also in snow ascents. Salewa describes this boot for mountaineering use and for via ferrata and is crampon compatible which is kinda odd because even though it has a heel welt for use with semi-automatic crampons the boot is not insulated so my feet freeze even with a good pair of winter Primaloft socks! And I'm not a guy who gets cold easily...

The color is "Night Black Kamille" and the weight is at around 660gr per boot (size 43EU) so pretty lightweight for a leather boot. My city-shoe size is 42EU and this pair is 43EU, so I'd say that it is almost true to size.

The upper consists of 1.8 mm nubuck leather with Gore-Tex membrane which is more breathable than my Zamberlan 1009 Vioz Top GT RR and full rubber rant for added protection.

You also get 2-stage; lacing system (like some climbing shoes) for a more custom fit.

MFF+ (multi-feet footbed) for a better fit depending on your foot anatomy.

footbed.jpg3F System for improved ankle support which is just coated steel wire that runs from the ankle to the lacing and from there the heel to improve rigidity without adding weight. Now I don't know if this is all marketing or if it really works but judging from the weight and performance I get in rocky terrain I'm sold.

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

The semi-stiff midsole consists of nylon and 27% fiberglass (according to Salewa).

The glue between the rubber rand and he leather holds well. A known weak spot in many boots I've seen.

DSC00070.jpg

Vibram WTC sole provide excellent traction in wet+dry rocky terrain and was also very good on firm snow but it wore off pretty quick in my opinion. Then again bare rocky terrain does that easily.

DSC00071.jpg
DSC00072.jpg
DSC00073.jpg

DSC00006.jpg
One last thing: No breaking-in required.

Experience

Overall I would suggest this boot as a good all-rounder and would definitely recommend it for 3-4 season use, but I wouldn't recommend it for temperatures bellow -5° Celsius except if you have a pair of very warm socks.

A favorite among many fellow hikers here in Crete.

Thanks for the helpful review, Nick!

Nick Mesarhakis

Thank you Alicia.

Lightweight, good fit, should be a sturdy backpacking…

Price Paid: $238 with discount

Summary

Lightweight, good fit, should be a sturdy backpacking boot that also climbs well.

Pros

• Lacing to the toe offers a lot of flexbility in fit
  • Overall comfort
  • Compatible with heel clip crampons

Cons

• Perhaps long term durability?
  • Full retail is a bit pricey

I just purchased these and have yet to put them through a full season. I was seeking a backpacking boot with a firm but not rigid sole that will walk and handle long approaches well, and that will also take crampons and climb and handle off trail work well.

I expect these to be a lighter and more comfortable alternative to a pair of old leather Garmonts that had fit the bill for many years, but that needed to be retired. This general boot style (lacing to the toe, rand, etc), Salewa uses on a number of their boots this spring. Maybe, if these fit, it's likely the other styles (e.g., hikers) based on the same platform may too...?

These fit my foot... I tend to need at least a medium width boot, with a snug heel and roomy toebox. In these the footbed and insert option plus flexibility in lacing (from toe to top) allows lots of adjustability. I prefer to replace factory footbed inserts with Superfeet for the best the arch and heel support.

So far so good on fit. The footbed construction is firm but not rigid, and the vibram sole provides very good traction.

I will update this report after putting in some mileage and elevation.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of these over time, alpine1. Thanks!

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Rapace GTX versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Rapace GTX. Read all reviews »