Rugged like a tractor...inside too! Low cut, lightweight,…

Price Paid: $80 is a good price but wouldn't mind pay the double for some extra padding

Summary

Rugged like a tractor...inside too! Low cut, lightweight, highly breathable trail shoe for the most rugged, rocky, and wet trails out there with a grippy sole like Velcro—so stable you can even carry your own heavy pack till you drop.

Pros

• Rugged
  • Padded tongue
  • Sensifit system for precise fit
  • Protective toe and heel
  • Very breathable
  • Very stable
  • Anti-debris mesh with also an anti-mud layer
  • Contagrip sole, deep, aggressive lug pattern

Cons

• Needs at least 2-3 months to break-in
  • Minimal padding inside
  • Seams inside toebox can cause blisters
  • Not the most comfy shoe
  • No gusseted tongue

Day 0—Looks can be deceptive, this cumbersome looking clogs when put in action felt feather-light and nimble becoming one piece with the foot I could easily walk, jog, run, jump, and climb with a grip like tiger claws sticking like Velcro to any surface, urban, rugged, rocky or wet providing maximum safety and protection.

P1170656_b.jpgDay 43—Finally started to feel kind of broken in, my intention was to go on a two-month backpacking trip with only one pair of low cut non-Gortex shoes (because of the hot weather) and a pair of flip flops with a backpack and a bag to carry varying from 40 to 60 lbs.

P1180497.jpgThe Contagrip sole deserves a standing ovation, it made the shoe complete, even on sand.

P1170706.jpgMaybe low cut, but never felt didn't have enough support even when I had to carry some 60 pounds of backpack, water, food, and gear on rocky uneven surfaces, sand or asphalt. To accommodate the extra weight I took out the Ortholites and put the Superfeet Blue insoles instead which upgraded the shoes up a notch.
P1180505.jpg

The inside of the shoe is not what you call plush. The first weeks were rough to say the least, at some point had to take a break for a day or two and was forced to walk for miles on sharp rocky surfaces barefoot; the feeling afterwards was amazing as if I had received a kind of a total foot massage! Guess like this I got a taste of how our forefathers walked about in nature long ago, I always thought of the barefoot thing as a fad but I'm a believer now, I highly recommend!

P1180500.jpg

The uppers of this mountain trekking sneaker is suede with a breathable open mesh—it worked very well even during the hottest days—tied up with good grippy regular laces.
P1180498.jpgEven after two months of intensive use the shoes are good as new. I will definitely break them in and have them ready for next summer so I can hit the trails this time blister-free.

Experience

My mistake was I bought them last minute and started to break them in at the airport which was...kind of too late and as result for the next 5-6 weeks was getting all sorts of blisters especially at the small toes. I tried Compeed plasters and regular plasters but without much success just a minor relief. Luckily I had with me a pair of Smartwool mini socks that saved the day.

My respect for Salomon shoes goes way back. Some 12 years ago I bought another amazing low cut Salomon trail shoe, the Elios. I ended up buying four pairs and wore them out to the bone. Before finally buying the Evasion 2 Aero I went to all the outdoor shops and tried them all, because the Evasion is a relatively cheap basic ugly shoe didn't get much media exposure, reviews and the such, so was lucky that this outdoor shop had them on the shelf.

Sizing: Had to go a full size up from what I normally wear leaving as a rule of thumb a finger's thickness space between toes and toebox. That was greatly appreciated, especially when going downhill and loaded.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these Salomons, travel-r! I hope the blisters have abated.