Salomon Powderspike

rated 4.5 of 5 stars (2)

The Powderspike has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best backpacking boots for 2020.

Price Reviewers Paid: $130.00

I've been looking for a comfortable boot for dayhiking with snowshoes or crampons. Been hiking for years in K2's for lack of anything warm or comfortable. I've been so happy with my Salomon Snowclogs I thought I'd give these a chance. They feel like hightop sneakers, weigh very little, work well with snowshoes and my G10's. So far my feet have been warm and dry. At summit rocks I've found the sole is grippy. These things are affordble. I even use them around town for errands!

Materials: insulated winter boot
Use: day hiking adirondack high peaks
Break-in Period: Instant!
Weight: Light

I bought these boots for general mountaineering and they have performed quite well. They say that they are waterproof with some climadry material that they used. But if you step in the water your feet will get wet, and take some time to dry. The good thing though is that they don't freeze up overnight if the temp happens to plummit.

There main quality is that they are light, tough, comfortable and do keep the snow out.

Materials: man made material
Use: mountaineering with a heavy pack
Break-in Period: one or two good uses
Weight: very light compared to others
Price Paid: $200 cdn