Salomon XA Comp

rated 4.00 of 5 stars

The XA Comp has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best trail running shoes for 2020.

photo: Salomon XA Comp trail running shoe

Men's
Price Historic Range: $31.96-$59.99
Reviewers Paid: $49.95-$68.00
Women's
Price Historic Range: $23.99-$79.98

This is by far the best trail running shoe available. Very light with excellent fit and great traction on any surface. They are not heavy and clunky like the New Balance or the Pearl Izumi. One word of warning however. The innovative lacing system is great, but if one of the Kevlar strands breaks, you basically have to throw the shoes away because there is no easy way to repair.

Materials: Mesh Synthetic
Use: Trail running
Break-in Period: none
Weight: very light
Price Paid: $49.95 at Dick's

I've had my pair for a little over two years. I use them for hiking, running, and all around town. I love the fit, very comfortable and light. I'll even take them backpacking to wear around the campsite. I like the lasing system as it is quick and efficient. Although my brother managed to break one of his strings, I find them to last just as long as normal lacings -- in my case, longer.

Use: Dayhikes, running

I love these shoes. They are so light and I can run forever in these things and the traction, oh man, these things grip with such tenacity. I love these things.

Materials: synthetic
Use: trail running and overnights
Break-in Period: 3 days
Weight: featherlight

I bought these shoes at REI with 20% off. After wearing them for almost a year, the string system (that was believed to be Kevlar) broke on one shoe. I attempted to repair it and then the other one went out as well. Bought in 03/2004. It's 2006 and thanks to REI I was able to return them no problem. Turns out the lace system was not kevlar. Good sole and tread, but not good for heavier use.

Materials: synthetic
Use: trail
Break-in Period: none
Weight: 1

Dave Williams

You wore a pair of shoes for 2 years, wore out the laces and returned them and then praised REI's return policy? That's what's wrong with REI (I'm a member and love their store) but when people take advantage of a return policy like that, the policy has to change or the store will go bankrupt. Think about it objectively and be honest with yourself.