I bought two pairs of these shoes, one Goretex and…

Summary

I bought two pairs of these shoes, one Goretex and one not Goretex for a walking holiday at the end of April. They are perfect for me in size, comfort, and ease of use with a plus point of a really interesting range of colours to choose from.

However I believe the Goretex ones have a big design fault! Whilst wearing them in, I have now found that as I am walking and the shoe bends, the front top lace holder rubs on the Goretex shoe and has rubbed a hole in the Goretex outer liner which now means the rain and mud can pour in!

Salomon I am so very disappointed!! What can I say! I certainly wasn’t expecting this from these shoes that are great in every other way! Has anyone else experienced this or are mine faulty?

Pros

• Great shoe for walking as well as running in all weathers
  • Lace up system is very convenient
  • Great colours to choose from

Cons

• Real design fault rubbing a hole in the Goretex layer!!!
  • Expensive shoe to have this happen to!

If Salomon can suggest a solution, then please do?? Or anyone else please!

Really feel let down as I am supposed to be walking the Camino in these and now will need to find a replacement or repair which may not last the trip!

Welcome to Trailspace, Colly! Too bad about your issue with these Salomons. Have you asked the brand for any assistance? Also, if you have some pictures fo the shoes and their issues, those would be great for others to see in your review.

I have had knee problems ever since I was a teenager--"overuse,"…

Price Paid: not sure

I have had knee problems ever since I was a teenager--"overuse," they used to say. I walk primarily on the outside of my feet and then roll inward; there's a term for it, but I can never remember what it is. Doctors have always told me to wear Asics 2100s, which I was doing, but the knee pain never went away, and I always had to limit my endurance running, which made me unhappy.

A year and a half ago I purchased these trail runners at Appalachian Outdoors in State College, PA, because they were on sale and I thought I would try a different type of running shoe. The salesperson said these shoes are many endurance runners' favorites, and I thought--what do I have to lose?

Well, I'm on my third pair now (the XA Pro 3D Ultra), and I couldn't be happier! Ever since I started running in these shoes, my knee pain has almost completely gone away. It's unbelievable to me. I thought I would have to give up running someday soon (and I'm only 29), but now I am running more than I was in the past.

I want to kiss the person who designed these trail runners! I have no idea how these shoes caused my knee pain to disappear, but I don't care. I will be a Salomon XA Pro 3D customer for life!

I've owned a few pairs of these now, and can honestly…

Materials: synthetic
Use: day bushwalking, trail running
Break-in Period: 0 days

I've owned a few pairs of these now, and can honestly say they are the best fit of a trail shoe i have had.

They are comfortable, the soles have great traction, great stability, i liked the lacing system...though have seen a few broken ones through work, and i think its not awesome for people with narrow feet as you end up with a lot of dangling cord hanging around.

the reason i give them 4 stars is the durability.
the last pair i had lasted less that 6 months, only used hiking and trail running. the soles wore out so fast! the inside at the heel also wore out quickly, but it is a common problem with my heel shape and would happen to any shoe.

a shame they wore out so quick, i was reluctant to buy another pair as they are so pricey in australia. the first pair i owned seemed to have last much longer (18 months? i think)

bottom line: very comfy and stable. not very long lasting.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All XA Pro 3D versions

In addition to the 3 women's reviews above, there are 6 reviews for other versions of the XA Pro 3D. Read all reviews »