Sea to Summit Talus TS2

photo: Sea to Summit Talus TS2 3-season down sleeping bag

Price Current Retail: $299.99
Historic Range: $179.53-$429.00
Reviewers Paid: $350.00

A good choice for dependable fast-and-light warmth.

Pros

• Accurate comfort rating
  • Sheds water

Cons

• Dri-down is a little clammy
  • Could use a higher fill-power down
  • Cost

This is a well-designed sleeping bad. The hood, draft collar, and overall fit are great.  The bag is a little roomier tan a typical mummy. This is nice for three-season sleeping, but on cold nights (below freezing) the extra space reduces the efficiency of the bag somewhat.

The Dri-down works as advertised, with a shorter dry time than normal down. The bag's DWR coating also sheds light moisture very well. Given these attributes, I was not surprised to find that the Dri-down bag is a little clammy as compared to my normal down bags.

It seems that the DWR coating on the shell, combined with the Dri-down treatment, can actually trap a little moisture in the bag. In particular, I noticed dampness around my feet (and cold feet as a result).  This was easily fixed by wearing socks to absorb sweat and reduce moisture in the bag. Compression is great - I can get the "long" version down to something smaller than a water bottle.

One nice feature: the "short" and "long" versions have opposite-side zippers. This means my wife and I can easily zip our bags together (for warmth, of course). The advertised as a full-length zipper, but in reality they use the same zipper for all three lengths, so the zipper on the long version runs about 80% down the bag.  But this is fine, and entry/exit are easy.

Nits include a scratchy piece of Velcro near the hood, and a tiny zipper pull that can be hard t find at night. I also wish this bag used 900 fill down (and weighed 4-6 ounces less) or cost about $100 less. $350 seems a little high for a 750 power down bag.

The bag is true to its rating. I was comfortable on nights in the 25-60 degree range. With a long underwear top and bottom, it works very well down to about 15 degrees.  Above 60 degrees you can open the bag into a quilt and use only part of it to avoid roasting.

Overall this is a solid performer that has replaced my synthetic 3-season bag for general use.

Final Days: Review Your Gear to Win Kora Wool Layers