The Rebel Jacket has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best soft shell jackets for 2022.
Historic Range: $140.00-$165.00
Reviewers Paid: $65.00
I have been using this Rebel Jacket since the spring of 2005. I like the feel of the jacket and the way it functiones. I have put it through rains, snow, and strong cold wind in my hiking, mountain biking, and backpacking trips...it did most of the jobs really well...
Note: it's a nice mix of a soft shell and hard shell. It uses Sierra Designs Torrent V waterproof breathable material at the high impact points and the Barricade soft shell material in the rest of the jacket. This mix increases the weather protection but compromises some movability of the materials...so far I am very happy with the compromise...
- mixture of Torrent V and barricade soft shell material makes the jacket really weatherproof.
- more water resistant than many soft shells like my Mountain Hardwear Vertex jacket or Mammut New Age jacket.
- protects against wind and abrasion very well. I bought this jacket for more abusive trips so that I can extend the life of my other two soft shells. But this jacket outperformed the other two and after pretty heavy and rough use its still going pretty strong.
- like the venting system that works almost like pitzips. I have used other SD jackets and did not like the placement of their venting system, but this jacket has the venting system set up bit higher up the arms and makes the zips very effective in venting extra warmth.
- pretty effective and simple design
- length and cut. this jacket is cut a bit differently than some of the SD jacket. it's not as form fitting which allowes for easy layering (underneath) during cold winter days.
- breathes well
- the collar is not snug enough and does not stand up like my other jackets. it compromises the protection, specially during my mountain bike rides.
- the stitching of the jacket is not very high quality. it's not coming off, but it represents poor craftsmanship.
- the jacket is a bit too heavy for warm weather. but, it's a very good piece for spring, fall, and mild winter days in the Northeast.
Things that could improve the jacket: It uses a brushed polyester lining in the jacket. A grid pattern interior could imporve the feel and breathability of the jacket.
But I think SD has discontinued this jacket...
Fabric: Barricade Soft Shell
Price Paid: US $65