Sierra Designs Tensegrity 2 Elite

This is an ultralight and innovative tent with just…

Price Paid: $366.73+20% off coupon and REI dividends

Summary

This is an ultralight and innovative tent with just a few drawbacks.

Pros

• Light
  • Easy to set up
  • More spacious then expected

Cons

• Expensive
  • Single wall condensation
  • Silnylon sags when wet

I've always used 3-4 season double wall tents while camping and backpacking or I'll throw a bivvy bag in my pack for light weight.

I own Sierra Designs down bags and love them. I replaced a 20-year-old North Face tent with a Convert 3 last year and was highly impressed.  This last year I started getting knee pain and decided it's time to go lightweight.

Armed with an REI 20% off coupon, a clearance sale, and my annual dividends I couldn't pass up trying this tent.

I knew the drawbacks of silnylon (sags when wet) and singlewall tents (all will condensate) so that wasn't a problem to me.

At just over 2lbs I was saving 4.5lbs from my previous tent! YES!!!! I love the weight.

The tent has two bags, one for the tent body and one for the stakes/pole. Love this too!

wWith the knee problems I needed to use trekking poles. This tent requires them so it kind of works out.

Setup is a breeze. I didn't need instructions and did it in less than 3 minutes the second time around.

I was concerned my gear would get wet under the garage or that I would get wet from wind blown rain with the only windows at the feet and head. This hasn't been a problem on the three nights that I've slept with rain. I'm always paying attention to how I orient the tent.

Seams had to be sealed—easy and I always do this anyway. Stitching was very solid, reinforced where it should be.

Call me a fanboy, but I can always count on Sierra Designs to have a quality product, much like Outdoor Research, Arc'teryx, MSR, and a few others. Give one of the versions of this tent a try!

Welcome to Trailspace, Cort! Thanks for sharing a review of this SD tent. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it continues to work out for you. I'd love to see some pictures of it in your review too.

G00SE

Thanks for the review, Cort. As a guy with arthritis in my knees, I understand the need for trekking poles. Do you have any pictures of your tent to share with us?

Cort

Thanks! I'll work on some pics asap!

Thanks, Cort!

The Sierra Designs Tensegrity 2 Elite is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 13, 2019 at Mountain Gear.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review