Smartwool Training Beanie

photo: Smartwool Training Beanie winter hat

Price MSRP: $25.00
Historic Range: $9.93-$32.00
Reviewers Paid: $25.00

Breathable, lightweight beanie that fits well under the hood of an over jacket or soft shell.

Pros

• Made of wool so works well when wet
  • Lightweight, so easy to carry along in a pocket or pack
  • Material/wool content varies to keep your ears warm while letting the top portion breath
  • Ergonomic design fit lower around the ear section

Cons

• Not for really cold weather

Another one of my lightweight purchases in preparation for higher altitude hikes this summer. I've worn this beanie several times under my Marmot Vapor Hoodie and during wet, snow/rain walks it has performed quite well when under the hood.

When I've worn it by itself in upper 20s it's not the warmest but that's not what it's designed for. This is a training beanie, which actually lets some of the heat/moisture escape while exercising yet keeping your ears and head warm enough.

I was looking for something that will pack light in my backpack for higher altitude day hikes this summer. It wads into a ball about the size of a cue ball and weighs very little. Based on its performance earlier this spring in the conditions I mentioned above, it should work well for those periodic situations where the weather turns bad and/or the temps drop while above tree line.

WP_20140520_17_30_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20140520_17_29_05_Pro.jpg

Had my Training Beanie for two years, X-country ski /camping. I was always very pleased with the ability of the cap to keep me warm with comfort. Very packable as it is very thin yet one of my warmest stocking caps I have owned, yet it breathes so well overheating is very rare.

This hat sets a rare standard!

Fabric: SmartWool
Source: received it as a personal gift

Zenbivy Light Bed 25° Bundle Review