Stanley Mountain Vacuum Coffee System

Q&A

Have a question about coffee presses and filters? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Makes fine coffee in a compact unit workable in a…

Summary

Makes fine coffee in a compact unit workable in a domestic setting or campground, but a tad heavy for a long backpack.

Pros

• Compact and self contained
  • Keeps coffee hot for a long time

Cons

• Not ultralight
  • Handle on outer vessel is tricky

My unit is now in use as my regular coffee maker. I will use it in the same manner on camping trips and possibly on backpacks where weight is not a big deal.

The brewing pot and press surround a vacuum bottle which has tricked out lid assembly with two plastic drinking cups and a container which can hold coffee grounds for about two brews or sugar ad creamer packets. All in all, it is a compact and workable unit.

At home, I heat 500ml of water in a separate container, pour water over the grounds, wait and few minutes, slam down the press, and coffee is served—quick, easy, and delicious. The same process works in a campground setting.

The brewing pot is tall and skinny, not the best shape for efficient heating and the base is a bit thin to balance easily on the prongs of a typical canister stove, but I have lots of other vessels for that purpose.

The brewing vessel sports a folding handle on its side. When using it, I find it best to tip the full container before lifting; otherwise the handle will collapse.

The assembly is quality construction and should last a lifetime. Call me a happy, caffeinated camper.

G00SE

Thanks for the review, Hikermor. One of my caving buddies always brings his Stanley thermos on our trips. When we come back to our cars, he always has hot coffee. I'm amazed at how well Stanley keeps coffee hot.

Thanks for the review of your Stanley, hikermor.