Stowaway Gourmet Jambalaya with Shrimp

photo: Stowaway Gourmet Jambalaya with Shrimp meat entrée

Price MSRP: $15.95
Reviewers Paid: $16.00
Dietary Pescatarian / Gluten-Free

Fantastic, and a fantastic diversion from the usual freeze-dried fare.

Pros

• Excellent flavor
  • Big, easily identifiable ingredients

Cons

• Cost

Big, easily identifiable chunks of vegetables. Big, whole shrimp. Delicious sauce. Almost perfect.

I added an extra half cup of water and gave it an extra five minutes of "cooking" time, and it was just about perfect. A couple pieces of shrimp were just a little chewy—that's it, the rest were *perfect*.  The flavor was authentic compared to most every jambalaya I've had—right down to that sort of weird I-don't-know what spice it is that pervades most Cajun cooking. A decent spike of heat.

As with all other Stowaway meals I've had, I'd call this more suited to a long day hike rather than an end-of-day backpacking meal. Or just add something of a side dish, crackers or what have you.

I did find myself wishing that it were a gumbo, though. All of that flavor, with the addition of some sausage and maybe a couple chunks of pineapple—that would have been heaven, and a five-star dish.

Experience

Decades of backpacking and day hiking, eating hundreds of freeze-dried meals ranging from major manufacturers to boutique fare. This was prepared in the middle of a day hike at about 300 feet.

Thanks for reviewing this brand and bringing its offerings to our attention, JWatson! They all look and sound good. Now I'm reading up on their other meals...

Phil Smith

What Alicia said! The cost is quite a bit more than what I usually buy, but dammit, I DESERVE it after a brutal climb LOL

KiwiKlimber

When backcountry meals start looking better than restaurant meals, something is happening. I love it! Thanks for the review.

1 day ago