Streamlight Jr. Luxeon
Overview: The Jr. Luxeon is a small personal flashlight made by Streamlight. It is constructed of anodized aluminum and features a rubber momentary/constant on tailcap switch. It uses 2AA batteries to power a Luxeon I LED that uses custom optics to focus the light.
The light is constructed of solid aluminum, and is anodized in glossy black. The body of the light has mild knurling to improve grip. It has a stepped head/bezel which is removable to expose the optics and LED. It has a rubber tailcap switch that can be depressed slightly for momentary on operation. The batteries are also inserted through the tail opening. Both the head/bezel and the tailcap feature O-ring seals for weather resistance.
A polypropylene belt sheath is included, as well as a metal ball pen style clip, which is removable. The clip is not very sturdy or secure.
The fit and finish is superb, typical of Streamlight products. It has smooth threads, O-ring seals, polycarbonate lens, and smooth and consistent anodize. It is also very durable. The aluminum construction is very solid, and the light feels substantial in the hand, without being overly massive. Battery rattle is minimal. Sleek but strudy is how you could describe it.
Expect the Jr. Luxeon to survive moderate to heavy impacts with only cosmetic damage. The LED itself is shock proof, and will last over 50,000 hours of use. The light is also weather resistant, but do not expect more than a few feet of water resistance.
Depress the rubber tailcap switch slightly to momentarily activate the light. Press all the way until it clicks to keep the light on.
The light from the Luxeon LED is very bright. Advertised as 30 Lumens, the Jr. Luxeon is at least twice as bright as a standard incandescant Mini-MagLite 2AA flashlight, and produces a very smooth wide spot. The color of the beam is excellent, with just a tiny tint of blue.
The LED is also current regulated, so the output remains constant for the entire life of the batteries. Streamlight claims over 1 hour of run time with Alkaline AAs. It will run for about 80 minutes with Alkalines, and up to 100 minutes with rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride AA's, depending on capacity.
- The construction is excellent. Fit and finish is superb.
- Output is amazing. If you have not used a Luxeon LED before, you will be impressed by the sheer brightness of the Luxeon compared with typical 5mm LEDs.
- The light uses collimating optic to focus the light into what I'd call either a narrow flood or wide spot. Its beam shape is very versatile, providing good coverage for most short and medium range duties.
- The Jr. Luxeon makes a suitable replacement for small 2AA aluminum lights such as the Mini-Mag. It is incredibly bright and has a smooth beam with no 'artifacts.'
- The regulation of the light keeps it going at constant brightness. When there is only 15 or 20 minutes left, it will begin to dim quickly. Unlike a regular flashlight which will keep dimming slowly, you need to recognize when it is running low so you can change the batteries before you are left in the dark.
- The switch is very firm. It is good in that you will not accidently active the light when it is in your pocket or pack, but it will tire your thumb if you use it in momentary mode a lot.
- The aluminum, even with its knurling, is rather slippery, especially when your hands are wet and soapy. There is also no lanyard attachment point.
- VERY bright for its size.
- Versatile beam.
- Regulated light output: does not dim over time.
- Great construction, fit and finish.
- Lightweight and compact. Slightly longer than a Mini-Maglite.
- Includes a polypropylene sheath and a ballpen style clip.
- Accepts all types of AA batteries.
- Short run time, about 80 minutes with Alkalines.
- No lanyard attachment point.
- Aluminum is slippery, especially when wet.
A great light. At only $29.99, you should own one. The output is amazing compared to typical 2AA Aluminum lights.
Price Paid: $29.99
Where to Buy
You May Like
Reviewers Paid: $29.99