Swazi Kagoule Anorak

photo: Swazi Kagoule Anorak waterproof jacket

Weight 900 g / 1.98 lbs (size Large)
Material Watershield AEGIS 3-layer Whisper knit fabric
Waterhead 20,000mm
Breathability 10,000g/m2 24hr
Fabric weight 268gsm (8oz/yd2)

Swazi is known worldwide for top quality hunting gear. The Kagoule is very versatile, hard wearing, breathable, and waterproof—a top jacket from New Zealand.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Windproof
  • Breathable
  • Excellent wired hood

Cons

• Price, it's expensive

I am amazed that there is no Swazi manufacturer listed in the options. In my world they are known worldwide as a premium brand of hunting, hiking, and outdoor apparel that will take on all conditions.

Swazi make a number of models, including the Tahr, Wapiti, and Kagoule. I have worn them all over the years. They are made of three layers of a special material called Aegis, which Swazi claim is soft quiet and waterproof, and trust me it is.

The Kagoule has a chest pocket with a radio antenna slot channeled through a rubber chest panel and an opening within the jacket to allow microphone access. There is a top opening pouch pocket with handwarmer pockets on the sides. The hood is well known for being able to turn and have excellent peripheral vision when it is up, with a wire front to keep it in shape in the roughest weather conditions.

The jacket, being an over-the-head smock type with no shoulder seams, is excellent at keeping the weather out. All the seams are taped and Swazi claim the Aegis fabric "breathes", however, I have found that if you have too much on underneath in warmer weather it can still get a bit sweaty. So all I ever use for normal conditions is a base layer and add a thermal vest if it's really cold.

It is generously cut and long enough to keep the wind out. There is a drawstring at the base for when it's really blowing.

Swazi coats are expensive, this one is £400, but they last for years and are very well made. You even get the person who made it put their name to it, comforting in these days of mass production.

Here is mine.

IMG_8504.jpgIMG_8507.jpg

Experience

I have all sorts of hunting, shooting, and fishing coats, jackets, and smocks for nearly every occasion. It usually transpires however that I pick the wrong one to wear on the day!

Price Paid: £399

Nice review, Ozalid! Thanks for being the first to bring this NZ brand to our attention.

Bob Withrow

Thank you for this! I've been looking for something to layer over my MKM sweaters (or jerseys, if you will) and this looks like the perfect fit. I've not heard of them but my other NZ garments have been awesome.

Bushka’s Kitchen Lentil Lunch Review