TAL Ranger Pro 26oz Double Wall Vacuum Insulated

Great value insulated water bottle delivers on promise…

Summary

Great value insulated water bottle delivers on promise of keeping liquids cold for 24 hours and hot for 18 hours.

Pros

• Keeps liquids cold, or hot for a long time
  • Screw-off spout makes drinking easy
  • Handy handle for carrying
  • Narrow, easy to hold with a subtle textured plastic coated surface
  • Wide mouth, easy to fill with ice

Cons

• Bottom dents when dropped
  • A bit heavy for weight-conscious backpackers
  • Narrow handle on lid could break in careless handling

I have enjoyed my TAL 24oz Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Bottle so much over the last year plus that I gave several to friends last summer who I kayak with (they all love theirs) and also gave one or two as presents this past Christmas. They are also available in an 18-oz Ranger bottle, and 40- and 64-oz Growler sizes.

Yes, I purchased these bottles at Walmart (although I have seen them on Amazon). They are similar in construction to the well-known Hydro Flask bottles. Both materials and quality of construction seem very similar to me. Perfect for someone like me who needs to pinch pennies. I fell in love with the Hydro Flask bottles the first time I saw them, but the price was a bit much to my budget. Then a friend bought one and raved about it. Later on I stumbled onto the TAL bottles in Walmart at a price ($13) that was much more comfortable, so I grabbed it and have really enjoyed it since. In fact I have another one on hand for when this one needs replacing.

One thing I really like about the TAL bottle is having a wide mouth that makes it easy to fill up with ice. I first had another brand stainless steel water bottle that I rarely used because the opening is so narrow I had to buy a thin bottle brush just to clean it—I do not like drinking out of that one because of the narrow mouth.

I do like drinking out of my TAL bottle because of the handy, screw-off drink spout that stays attached to the larger lid. Also, attached/hinged to the lid is a plastic loop/handle with a rubber inner grip that I find really handy in carrying the bottle. I do take care with it though because it is a bit narrow and I could see that a hard knock or drop could possibly snap the handle, but the plastic material seems strong.

I have had my bottle by my side in most car trips, out with me in my kayak, and even with me out hiking, either in a side pocket on one pack, or inside on another that lacks an outer pocket. Yes, it is heavier than the Smart Water bottle ultralight hikers love to carry, but for a hot day hike or paddle, having a cold drink with you is really nice. I have been astounded by how long ice stays ice in the bottle throughout a day.

Unfortunately, Walmart has a habit of discontinuing products I really like. I saw this size bottle in my local store recently, but for some reason the Walmart website does not currently list the 24-oz bottle like mine. They DO list an 18-oz shorter bottle with the same spout/handle lid, as well as the larger 40/64 oz size growlers.

TAL_bottle.jpg
TAL_bottle_spout.jpg

Experience

I have used this bottle extensively for travel, kayaking, and hiking.

Thanks for the affordable recommendation, Beth!

1 month ago

The TAL Ranger Pro 26oz Double Wall Vacuum Insulated is not available from the stores we monitor.

Swiftwick Pursuit Four Sock Review