This was the first piece of gear I ever purchased.

This was the first piece of gear I ever purchased. It resists water big time, never wrinkles, and is a great secondary base layer. I can't remember a trip that I haven't brought this with me.

It is also tough as nails, the apex material is really stretchy and cool. I'm 5'8" - 188 lbs. and the large fits perfect. I gave it 5 stars because I can't find anything wrong with this shirt, it really is a great and valuable piece.

Maybe the GREATEST piece of clothing I have ever worn!

Fabric: Apex
Fill: none
Price Paid: Pro Deal

Maybe the GREATEST piece of clothing I have ever worn! Honestly this shirt is as close to perfect as they come. Pro's and Con's are as follows:

PRO'S:

Durability:
This thing is indestructable. Honestly unless you took a blow torch to it you will have this item for life.

Wearability:
I have worn it as a base layer, mid layer, shell, you name it - it's the most versatile piece of clothing I own. Oh, and it looks cool too.

Pockets & Zippers:
One Napolean pocket on the left chest gets the job done just fine. All the zippers float up and down with easy.

Fit & Functionality:
I would say it fits slightly on the larger size, which is fine with me. It's ability to keep the elements of light rain and gale force winds at bay ensures a spot in my pack or on my back for every trip.

CON'S:
Its a tad heavy...roughly one pound.

There is no cinch cord at the bottom so you need to tuck it in to ensure that the heat doesn't escape.

OVERALL - this is one piece of clothing that everyone should own! They are going to bury me in it.

First off I need to say that this is a great top,…

Fabric: Apex

First off I need to say that this is a great top, very stetchy and durable, but it is sized too big in my opinion. I am 6 foot 190 lbs with broad shoulders. I almost always wear a large in everything unless it says it's a relaxed fit, then I wear a medium. I don't like my clothes baggy, expecially my tech wear. I wanted to use this top for fall and winter climbing and trail running.

Anyways--North Face says this is "a performance cut piece," "That can be worn as a base layer next to the skin, or outer layer over a light base layer." So I assumed it would fit close to the body, HENCE "Performance Fit".

Well... I ordered a large and it fit very baggy though the body, I could easily wear a thick base layer under it. The hem opening is very large too. The top is too baggy for trail running and climbing, but if you want a light top to go over a heavier layer this would be a good choice (Patagonia Expedition Capelene or something like that).

The best piece of gear I've ever owned. I once showed…

Fabric: blue apex

The best piece of gear I've ever owned.

I once showed up at squaw on a chilly early spring day with nothing better than this shirt to go out in and I was fine. It stops wind dead, it wicks moisture off, it looks great after days of wear.

North Face, please bring back the greatest shirt of all. I heart it.

Chris

The Apex Zip Shirt has been discontinued.

The North Face Apex Zip Shirt is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 13, 2009 at Teton Village Sports.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review