The North Face Kichatna SAR Jacket

rated 5.0 of 5 stars

The Kichatna SAR Jacket has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best waterproof jackets for 2021.

Price Reviewers Paid: $600.00

This is the fourth North Face jacket I have owned. My experiences with my Mt. Jackets have proven very successful in recreation and out in the field. Using these jackets in Search and Rescue operations has made arduous tasks more bearable and in several occasions has saved my life.

The Kichatna Search and Rescue Jacket has brought The North Face to the next level. I would not venture to use this jacket in any non-extreme condition, it is just too heavy of a work jacket to go skiing or hiking in. The Kevlar shoulder and arm patches are great in providing you from injury from sliding ropes or a binding chest harness. The double neoprene arm cuffs and Velcro closures are great for working with your hands above your head in wet conditions. In the left hand pocket is a radio pocket with a neoprene pouch in the inside to keep the radio in place. You can feed an extended mic through a flap covered hole at the top of the pocket and attach it to a lapel tab.

My only complaint with this jacket was the use of Velcro on the front zipper. Every time I would bring my arm up to do something I would find it getting caught to the Velcro. In fact, the Velcro near the collar was pulling apart the Kevlar shoulder patch. I have since then had the Velcro removed and replaced with black painted brass buttons. I can easily justify the price of the jacket when taking into consideration the price of a human life.

Fabric: 3X Goretex ripstop + Kevlar