Therm-a-Rest Backpacker

The Backpacker has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best self-inflating sleeping pads for 2020.

photo: Therm-a-Rest Backpacker self-inflating sleeping pad

Price Historic Range: $29.97-$39.97
Reviewers Paid: $30.00

This is a great product, but the picture, above, is incorrect. This is a review for the SHORT one, well anyway, they are similar, but, well, the shorter one only goes to the knees...

Well, here goes:

OVERALL: We all know Thermarest makes a great product, and this one fits a really nice niche: Best insulation (1.5 inches) but lite (1.5 lbs) so sort of balancing comfort (loft and temp) vs. size.

Pros: Comfortable, Packs Easily, Easy To Inflate, Durable, Lightweight, Warm, Non Slip, Small / Compact

Describe Yourself: Professional/Guide/Avid

What Is Your Gear Style : Mid-minimalist, I bring what I enjoy (birding books, etc) and cut out the B.S. (heavy stoves, etc)

Found on campmor for 30 bucks, as 'distressed' or 'second: I can not actually find the 'blemish' - except maybe the silk-screen of the name is kinda badly done - otherwise perfect!

I only weight 160 or so but people who weight 200 or so report it is still comfortable. Anyway, I do like... It's a good product, for sure. Rugged, compact, still comfy yet lite, who couldn't appreciate how this item meets a need?

My version is short, so some others will appreciate the longer models. Anyway, after many, many years of only carrying super-duper-lite foam, I finally found a blow-up that meets my expectations (but won't replace my girlfriend in cost.... blow-up jokes, aside)....

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter