Therm-a-Rest Down Snuggler

photo: Therm-a-Rest Down Snuggler under quilt

Price Historic Range: $40.95-$169.95
Reviewers Paid: $169.00

I’ve tried this underquilt a few times in the backyard, but not yet overnight in the woods. Twice in the low 30s, it’s still been a little cool on my shoulder areas. I had to add a thin foam pad (from packing material that I salvaged) under my shoulders.

I’m still experimenting with which end to use the adjustable cord side on. With my Therm-a-Rest Snuggler I noticed it was better to put the adjustable side on the head end to really snug it up under the hammock and bring more cover up around my shoulders. But with the Down Snuggler, I think it needs to be a little less tight to function well.

I also found that its reflectuve inside barrier works better with a top quilt rather than a regular mummy sleeping bag. I tried it once in the mid forties and it was plenty warm by itself with a top quilt. I believe it’s true to weight and I really like the stuff sack that is attached. It has a large open area to stash things in when deployed and once you stow it there is a flap that come around to seal it up with a strap that you can tighten.

I’ve even used it as a blanket at home. Its tapered ends make it less comfortable as a blanket, but a smaller person should find it very usable as a blanket (I’m 6'2").

So far I’m very pleased with it. I’ll write another review after I actually use it on a trip. I bought it directly from Therm-a-Rest as it was back ordered elsewhere.

Experience

I have quite a bit of experience backpack camping, 1-2 nights. I have not tried any long thru hikes.

Welcome to Trailspace, Scott. I hope you'll update us on how your Down Snuggler works out on the trail.

Gear Libraries Increase Outdoor Access, Equity, and Adventure