Timberland White Ledge Mid Waterproof

I love these boots. I started training in these boots…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I received a sample of this product for purposes of this review. I kept it.)

Summary

I love these boots. I started training in these boots and then broke my foot and was in another kind of boot for the next 6 weeks. I then was able to start back to hiking and started to make up for lost time.

This boot needed no break in and was so comfortable. I would be happy to wear them around the house, except I am happy to say they are dirty and muddy from my last hike!!

Pros

• No break-in period
  • Protective from the trail, rock, branches
  • Timberland will exchange quickly for the correct size

Cons

• I normally take a 10 in a hiking boot but needed an 11

Disclosure: I received a sample of this product for purposes of this review.

These boots do run small. I exchanged for another size up from my usual. The fit now is great. I mentioned that I broke my left foot and now my left foot is a bit bigger than my right but I fit into these boots perfectly. I needed no break-in period and noticed no areas of discomfort/pressure.

I have hiked in Northern California after fall snow, which means a bit of mud, but had no problems with boot moisture/dampness. I am sensitive to possible further injury and I feel safe and secure in these boots. They provide me with the right amount of support and security in the foot and ankle areas. I have never experienced interior wetness except from my own perspiration. The venting could be better.

They grip the path both on dry and wet and up and down. I haven't experienced a winter in them yet but am looking forward to putting them to the test. I began wearing them in mid summer with time off for rehab. I started wearing them again in the fall. I have about 100 miles on them so far and am looking forward to hundreds more.

Admittedly, I am not a diehard backpacker type, but a casual day hiker. I still need good reliable equipment. This is my first pair of Timberlands and they will not be my last.

These boots can be ordered on line or in stores. They are $110.

IMG_20160708_120032243.jpg

IMG_20160708_120301963.jpg

IMG_20160714_121200352_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160708_120240583.jpg

John Compisi MEDIA

This review was very helpful and a good bit humorous. Thanks.

Comfortable and durable boot with average grip. I…

Price Paid: $65 USD

Summary

Comfortable and durable boot with average grip.

Pros

• Waterproof

Cons

• Heavy
  • Can get rather hot
  • Lacking in traction

I used these boots on and off for about five years for hiking in different environments ranging from well maintained trails to harsh desert bushwacking. The uppers are pretty durable and waterproof. The outsole tends to accumulate a lot of mud though, and even when dry, I struggled getting grip in loose dirt. Slick rock was also a problem, especially when wet.

Waterproofing is great, never had any water come in until the midsole started delaminating after five years of rough use. The upper is also very supportive and I've always loved this style of boot lacing with the quick lacing hooks.

The inside is very well padded and comfortable. This also means they can get pretty hot in warm climates, but this is something I learned to live with before I started using trail running shoes for hiking.

These would be a great work boot, but I wouldn't get another pair for hiking. Still, they took me to a lot of places and kept on trucking, so I'm pretty pleased and I feel I got my money's worth out of these. As a rugged option these are great if you're on a tight budget, but I wouldn't use them on highly technical terrain.

Thanks for the helpful review, Roberto!

This was my first pair of hiking boots, bought in…

Materials: Leather; Gore-tex
Use: weekend hikes; day hikes
Break-in Period: one long weekend of hiking

This was my first pair of hiking boots, bought in a frenetic attempt to secure last minute supplies before a campout. The boots work alright, but the heel dips in such a way that it rubs uncomfortably on my Achilles' tendon.