This shoe represents my freedom from heavy, hot, blister…

Materials: Man made materials, Gore-tex liner
Use: rough trail with 30 pound pack
Break-in Period: None

This shoe represents my freedom from heavy, hot, blister busting hiking clods - so I was very conscious on my last backpacking trip on how they'd do - Turned out to be a great trip for the test: 20-plus miles with 10,000 feet of elevation gain, lots of rain & snow patches and high wet grass. Trail conditions ranged from loose gravel to mud to sharp rocks to slippery granite.

These shoes were great. I wore no duct tape over typical blister areas and I came out blister free. I did wear low-rise gators to keep water out of the tops and my feet stayed mostly dry - certainly as dry as the high-tops with Gore-tex do. And the rough trail conditions did not bother the bottoms of my feet or ankles. Good stability, great traction on slippery rock. (Note that I did switch out the insole with Super Feet.)

So why should I ever go back to traditional hiking boots? I can't think of a good reason.

The Blur GTX XCR has been discontinued.

The Vasque Blur GTX XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 10, 2010 at GearX.com.

Review Your Gear to Win a Hults Bruk Akka Axe or Helle Wabakimi Knife