The Tour 40 has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best overnight packs for 2021.
Historic Range: $61.72
I bought my first Vaude Tour (the 40l version) in NZ in 2005. Since then i used this model for a lot of hut-trails in Norway. Carrying around 8-10kg.
This pack has a few nice details I really like:
1) very good ventilation system... if u use it right (not like the guy writing about carrying an overload..) your back doesn't touch the pack at all. That's really nice, if you are a "sweatter" like me :)
2) the large side pockets as well as the separate(able) bottom pocket is a good thing to keep order in you equipment.
3) integrated rainsheet, very light weight, very stable
4) hip belts in the old model are superb... the new one (i got the 50l 2009 version as well) has a removable hip belt, which is sort of ... to small and wobby....
5) size adjustable, so you can fit the pack on your smaller girlfriend as well :)
with the 40l version i did a Pyrenee-crossing for 6 weeks, carrying tent, mat, sleeping bag, cooking equipment and so on. and the pack never let me down. not a zipper broke, not one damage in the hul.... all together it was just a little to small. so i bought the 50l version afterwards for trips that long.
So I can recommend this pack, for longer trips as well.
The newer version has a few little improvements, but they are not really worth mentioning here.
Number of Pockets: 5
Max. Load Carried: 18kg
Height of Owner: 182cm
Price Paid: 90NZ$