Vivo Barefoot Tracker FG

rated 5.00 of 5 stars (1)
photo: Vivo Barefoot Tracker FG hiking boot

Men's
Price MSRP: $240.00
Current Retail: $180.00-$249.95
Weight 468.05 g
Women's
Price Current Retail: $180.00-$249.95

A lightweight, comfortable alternative to traditional hiking boots.

Pros

• Zero drop sole
  • Flexible
  • Good traction
  • Warm in cooler weather
  • Waterproof
  • Roomy in the toebox, snug fit in the heels.
  • VivoBareFoot product information claims a 100-day return policy. No experience with that.

Cons

• Kinda pricey $$$
  • Haven’t found any yet, will update if I do.

I bought the VivoBareFoot Tracker FG after discovering my winter hikers were an uncomfortable fit after a year of a predominantly barefoot lifestyle.

I’ve only had these for about a month but I was won over the very first day. My feet are protected from cold, snow, ice, and slush in a very comfortable manner. Right out of the box they felt "broken in" and flexible. Trail feel is better than I’d expected, traction is adequate (I land mid foot, not on my heels so I can’t say with accuracy how heel striking/pushing off the toes is traction-wise), and my feet have been warm down to -15°C/5°F (thick socks). Sizing is true (European 43/size 10 North American) and my feet are extremely comfortable.

So far I’ve experienced ankle deep slush and puddles (no leaks), the previously mentioned -15C/5F, have hiked and ran snow and ice covered trails, and walked on various surfaces. No blisters, no hotspots, and no discomfort. It was pleasing to discover that an area on the top of my feet that gets pinched/rubs in other boots doesn’t cause me any pain anymore.

When the boots are laced up snugly there seems to be a lot in the way of ankle support. I prefer a looser feeling so I don't lace above the ankles (especially when running); I just use the first hook. I may try lacing to the top when snowshoeing.

51CD9BE8-4581-448F-9383-CDFDE5EC33CD.jpgstock photo from VivoBareFoot

C174AB09-5D1A-46A2-B5DC-25576E945880.jpgright boot is untreated, left boot has just had Zamberlan HydroBloc waterproofing cream applied.

Experience

A few decades of outdoor experience...

Price Paid: $335 Canadian. Free delivery.

Thanks for sharing a review of these, Heath. Have you used other shoes from Vivobarefoot before? Also, I'm curious, how do you think others with no or less barefoot experience would adjust to these? Thanks!

BC Heath

Hi Alicia. I currently do not own any other VivoBareFoot product but am contemplating the RA II to replace my Brogues.

BC Heath

Oops, accidentally posted my response before finishing my response. As to the second question, if a person looking at these feels they need arch support or a tighter fit in the toebox than they might not find these as comfortable as I do. The thinner sole provides me with a feeling of what’s underfoot (roots, rocks, etc) and readily conforms itself to the terrain. If a person contemplating these has weaker feet from padding, arch support, thicker soles, and less flexibility in their boot they may have to go through a transition period...for me they’re comfortable right out of the box.

Thanks, Heath. That's very helpful.