Wilderness Experience Latok 1

Q&A

Have a question about synthetic? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

The Latok was the first non-quilted Gore-Tex sleeping…

The author of this review designed the product.

Source: Designed it for Jim Donini's expedition to Latok 1 in Pakistan in the late '70s

Summary

The Latok was the first non-quilted Gore-Tex sleeping bag ever made. I designed it for Jim Donini's expedition to Latok 1 in Pakistan in the late '70s. WE didn't make very many, so enjoy your Latok as much as I have. Cheers Greg Thomsen co-Founder Wilderness Experience.

Pros

• Seamless weather protection
  • Perfect for ice, snow, and wet conditions

Cons

• No longer made!

The Latok is a very warm sleeping bag because the outer shell is a non-quilted layer of Gore-Tex fabric—so no heat loss through the quilt lines. There is also a layer of aluminized foil sandwiched between the Polarguard insulation layers that reflects heat back into the bag.

Very light for a synthetic bag and it is cut a bit slim to reduce additional weight-to-warmth ratios. Well ahead of its time, the Latok could be reintroduced today over 35 years later and it would probably win awards for innovation and performance!!

Welcome to Trailspace, Greg! It's a pleasure to have you share some background on your Latok sleeping bag. If you have any pictures of this bag, I'd love to see them in your review, and also to add to the Latok's product page, so others can get a glimpse of what Wilderness Experience gear looked like.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

I love the idea of the foil paired with the Gore tex. I bet that if this was reintroduced now with the newer synthetic insulations this would be a dream come true for a Minnesotan like me. I've been searching for one of the old synthetic bottom/down top bags from the 80's. The Latok is spurring a new search for me now.

Thirty-four years later the bag is in excellent shape.

Summary

Thirty-four years later the bag is in excellent shape. Now November 2018...Highly Recommended.

Pros

• Luv the Gortex and heat this bag can hold

Cons

• Just kind of hard to clean after a lot of use.

So I bought this bag back in the early '80s when I lived in Minnesota as it was rated for -20 degrees I believe. Paid $220 for it new then from Midwest Mountaineering. Slept in my Chevy Van for awhile during -20 degree winter and this thing kept me comfortable.

I'm not a climber or anything—just like good gear and to go camping occasionally. Decided to take this thing out of storage and air it out some. Then decided to look up to see if there was any info on this bag—not much out there so I decided to put my two cents worth in.

Pictures now added...
686.jpg

014.jpg

Experience

Great winter bag—used it for quite awhile in severe Minnesota winters.

Welcome to Trailspace, M Davis. We love to hear about well-loved gear like yours! You absolutely can add pictures, and we'd love to see them. When you go into edit mode, click in the body of the review and click on the photo icon up top (looks like a tree). I hope that helps.

Thanks, M Davis!

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

Thanks for the pics of the bag.

Purchased the Latok as my first mountaineering bag…

Summary

Purchased the Latok as my first mountaineering bag in 1981 and I still use it today (2018).
It has saved me from peril on more than one occasion, also I've slept directly on snow in this bag and was completely comfortable! It's kept in near perfect condition. The quality of Wilderness Experience products are second to none.

Pros

• Lightweight and warm!
  • It has a zipper stash pocket on the top
  • Stuffs down to a very compact size
  • It's Gore Tex!!

Cons

• Not produced

I grew up in Central Oregon in a little town named Bend.

In 1981 I got my first job at Discount Mountain Supply where I worked and spent every penny I made...on Wilderness Experience and Lowe products. I was obsessed with climbing and climbing gear! The Latok 1 bag by Wilderness Experience has been my go-to bag for cold weather since I purchased it brand new back in 1981 and I still use it today (2018). It has been absolutely bulletproof!

On what was supposed to be a weekend trip that became a....I survived four days in it during a relentless winter  blizzard on Broken Top Mountain in the High Cascades! The bag kept me warm and dry while my tent literally collapsed around me from the weight of the snow..almost 5 feet of it.

From that moment forward I never have considered a different winter bag and it's been through hundreds of climbing and backpacking trips. Even after 37 years the zippers still work perfectly and the bag still hold 7+ inches of loft.

The little stash pocket on the top is also one of the best things ever on a sleeping bag. Middle of the night, high up on the side of a mountain, and where did I put my little flashlight? Oh yeah in the pocket about three inches from my nose! Used to keep melatonin in it also, for those nights I just couldn't sleep.

The only real failures have been the drawcord tuber came loose on the hood, which I just sewed back into place, and the velcro flap at the top of the zipper came loose as well. Again stitched it up and good to go! At this rate the bag will outlive me!

I have bags from North Face, Ascent, Wilderness Experience, and Sierra Designs...all great bags. But if you want a winter bag that goes the distance find yourself a Wilderness Experience Latok1 sleeping bag.

I highly recommend it!..

Curtis Page

Bend, Oregon

Welcome to Trailspace, Curtis! Thanks for the review of your Latok. If you have pictures of your bag you're willing to share in your review, those would be great for others to see.

Old Guide

I know nothing about the WE bag but I've been using a WE pack since 80 or so-has made 100s of trips and been very overloaded at times and is still my go to pack 3 seasons...so what you say about your bag doesn't surprise me. Sad WE went out of business.

We'd love to read a review of your WE pack on Trailspace, Old Guide!

Very good bag. Zipper, loft, and Velcro all are in…

Design: Mummy
Fill: Fiber
Temperature Rating: ?
Weight: 3lbs

Very good bag. Zipper, loft, and Velcro all are in excellent shape.

I just spent three days in the Ozarks, temp in the low 30s, and all was good. The bag was bought at a garage sale by my wife. Any additional info about Wilderness Experience I would like to hear from you.