I have owned this bag since 1980 when I purchased…

Pros

• Extremely warm and lofty

Cons

• Bulky

004.jpg

003.jpg

I have owned this bag since 1980 when I purchased it new here in London, Ontario, for $200 at that time. This is a seriously warm and lightweight bag for its temperature rating as compared to my old eiderdown 3 Star bag which weighs in excess of 21 pounds.

The Mount Blanc Supreme was the top of the line semi-mummy bag with 3 pounds of goose down fill and a nylon outer shell. Baffled construction and nice light green outer with yellow inner lining. It weighs in at about 4.75 pounds. Although a little bulky, it is extremely warm and has about 8 inches of loft still after 35 years.

I have winter camped in this in minus 21 degrees f and was very comfortable sleeping under the stars with only two sleeping pads. On the other hand, in spring or fall it has to be used as a quilt as it is way too warm and you wake up soaked. Although the goose down back then had no fill numbers as 750 or 850 fill down, the arctic down is seriously warm and still lofty.

Where can you buy something that lasts 35 years and still looks like new and is so well made like everything made in Canada or the USA back then? I will pass this down to my kids. It is almost exactly made like the Eddie Bauer Karakoram bag other than zipper is on the side instead of top of bag.

I still have my father's eiderdown 3 Star bag from the fifties. It was totally worn out and at the time he sent it back to Woods where they sucked out the eiderdown and made him a brand new bag with more fill, 5 lbs I think, and sent him a brand new bag and storage bag for next to no money at the time. Woods was the premier outfitter at the time and these bags will truly last lifetimes if cared for.

Sounds like this bag has served you very well, Steve! Thanks for sharing your review on Trailspace. I'd love to see a pic of your bag if you're willing to share in your review.

Nice pics, Steve. I like seeing people's older gear.

G00SE

They built them to last...but the weight!

The Mount Blanc Supreme has been discontinued.

No price on record.

The Woods Canada Mount Blanc Supreme is not available from the stores we monitor.

Six Moon Designs Minimalist Review