Excellently made, good looking boot; perhaps better…

Price Paid: 180$US

Summary

Excellently made, good looking boot; perhaps better for people without wide feet!

Pros

• Good looks
  • Well made
  • Relatively lightweight
  • Made in Romania

Cons

• Narrow forefoot

I ended up using these on a five-week trek across the rocky spine of Crete, despite having recently bought a pair of Salomon 4D2's. There were a couple of factors in choosing the Akus:

1. They looked better. This was sort of important for me because I was going to be going in and out of social spaces, family friends' weddings, etc. My pair are a sort of pale sage nubuck with leather heel-pieces
  2. They seemed cooler in temp. Their 'AIR8000' side panels seemed to work pretty well, and though still protected by Gore-tex, seemed a tad more breathable than the Salomons.

I found the Vibram soles in these to be really good, though they have a slightly unusual pattern. Good grip on loose surfaces, good on rough and sharp rock, which I was often walking on.

Decent ankle support, despite not being particularly high-cut. Reasonably lightweight. Good value for money given that they are Aku's cheapest model I think (~180$)

The only thing for me is that these are a typical euro form factor—the forefeet in these are quite narrow. I'll still use these until they fall apart, but I occasionally need to give my feet a rest on a full-day walk (a couple of minutes intensive torsion and massage!), but that probably speaks about my (shovel-shaped) feet rather than the boots!

Welcome to Trailspace, Crumble Thorpe! Thanks for the review of your Aku boots. If you have some pictures of yours, those would be helpful to see in your review.

1 year ago