I have the suede version. It's an OK boot, no major…

Summary

I have the suede version. It's an OK boot, no major complaints, just not very thrilling.

Pros

• Big lugs on the outsole
  • Simple construction
  • Simple lacing

Cons

• Low tongue
  • Soft flexible uppers, support issues
  • Soft outsole, possibly
  • Hard footbed

20180623_222940.jpg

These are the suede GTX Tributes. I bought these Tributes to temporarily replace my AKU Zeniths, which I love, and need resoling. I like what AKU is trying to do, and would like to give them a few chances.

First, the soft suede feels nice around the ankle, and also gives very little stability. I rolled my ankle several times while rockhopping up some talus recently. They also look good in public. The footbed feels hard, the factory insole is thin, and over multiple trail miles is hard on the ball of the foot, inviting deep calluses and bone bruising.

Although the inside sole feels hard, somehow I'm still able to feel the granite rubble challenging my feet on Sierra trails, and more recently the Trinity Alps. I wish the tongue came up higher, to give more padding to the front of the ankle. The suede is not the best material for snow.

Thanks for the review of your boots, speardane. I've put them under the suede version.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

Thanks for the review. I own a pair of Tengu Lite GTX and have had a really good run with them so far. I have noticed mixed reviews on AKUs in general. Based on reviews, it seems like they've gotten some models right and others just don't come together as they hoped (similar to your experience with the Tributes and Zenith). I'm planning on getting the Monterras to reduce the arch height (I'm a bigger fan of less drop than more). Fingers crossed for another winner.