Alpina Discovery 80

photo: Alpina Discovery 80 nordic touring ski

Price Historic Range: $179.99-$324.95

Lightweight and responsive. Enough flex to make for acceptable kick n’ glide, stiff enough to minimize foundering in powder.

Pros

• Great off track performance
  • Very good flotation in deeper snow
  • The fish scales give decent traction
  • Good in packed snow that’s not icy
  • Can achieve a decent kick n’ glide
  • Good to go in all kinds of conditions/terrain, adding some glide wax is helpful.

Cons

• Not really great for following tracks due to their width (80-58-69)
  • Do not do well on packed n’ icy (skitter around)
  • Not as efficient or as quiet as wax skis due to the scales. This is where they lose the 1/2 point. If there was a 1/4 point that’s all I would have went.

These are currently my go-to ski for solo outings. They provide a quick escape down local forestry management roads, meadows, snow-covered riverbeds, exploring rolling terrain, and gliding down gentle slopes. I’ve set them up with a Telebry release plate, Voile 3-pin bindings, and cables from Rottefella Chili telemark bindings (love that heel lever) for the descents. I may add a climbing wire (likely Voile) this year.

I’ve covered a lot of miles on these skis and I’m looking forward to even more this year. I added the Telebry release plate after an unwelcome and painful (ankle-wise) spill going down an icy skidoo track last year. The added rise of the Telebry plate (about 3/4") has been a bonus for me—less snow buildup in front of my boot.

They’ve been responsive and controllable to my leathers (Alico Ski March—better for touring) and my plastics (Garmont Liberos—better for downhill).

The Alpina isn’t heavy on my feet (I have 208’s), feels sturdy, responsive, and maneuverable...they do everything I require of them.

I plan on doing longer treks with them this season.
01DAF0BA-4D9D-49AF-AC4B-8C24F16F5845.jpg

Experience

Always outdoors skiing, snowshoeing, running, hiking, etc...

Source: received it as a personal gift

Thanks for this review of your Alpina skis, Heath. Your picture has me craving some deep snow.

1 year ago