Altra Lone Peak Hiker

Outsole DuraTread
Cushion Moderate
Stack Height 25 mm
Upper Midweight Mesh/PU Overlays

Lightweight, comfortable, and durable shoes that are great for the weekend hiker looking to move to more modern hiking footwear

Pros

• Breakable
  • High-quality construction

Cons

• Not waterproof

I wanted an upgrade from some big box outdoor store hiking boots that I bought years ago for an upcoming trip. I was convinced I wanted a lighter hiking shoe because I didn't like the heavy feeling and the ankle rub that came with my old boots.

After trying on a lot of hiking shoes, I was fortunate to have an experienced store employee ask if I was okay trying on the Altra Lone Peak Hiker. The previous shoes I tried all pinched a bone on top of my foot near the base of my big toe, so I was willing to try a higher-rise model that was more like a boot. Bingo! Jackpot! Bingpot!

The Altra shoe, through it covered my ankle, was not compressing on the top of my foot as other shoes did. The toe box was roomy—enough to avoid blisters, but not so much that my foot slides when walking—and the light ankle support didn't pinch and rub my ankle at all.

But the "WOW!" factor was the weight, or rather the lack of weight. It was so light. It is just under 12 ounces. And comfortable! So comfortable. I was walking around the store and I thought I was in slippers at home. I pressed my toe against the wall. I twisted my foot. I stepped up and down on the bench. Every move I made felt natural. The ankle and bottom of my foot felt well-supported. There was give where I needed it and support for my foot where I needed it.

In-store experience was great, but I also took them on the trail and they performed well. Rocky terrain, hiking up a creek, immersing them in water—they took what the trail dished out in stride. They are not Goer-Tex, so don't expect them to keep the water out—they won't. I was expecting a quicker dry time, which is the only thing I docked .5 star for in this review.

I have been told to expect about 500 miles of average hiking out of these. There are more durable hiking boots out there, but to get this combination of comfort, support, and weight at a good ~ $150-ish price point is a win for me.

Experience

I have a moderate level of weekend and vacation hiking experience in mountainous and mixed terrain.

Nice review of your Altras, Kevin! Thanks for taking the time to share your first gear review with us. If you have any pics of your Lone Peak Hikers, we'd love to check them out in your review too.

william

I like the beef upped uppers - maybe they will last 500 miles.

Hanging High Hammocks Soft Shackles Review