Asolo Rogue

rated 4.0 of 5 stars

The Rogue has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best backpacking boots for 2021.

Price Reviewers Paid: $50.00-$95.00

I purchased these boots in the spring of 1995, and have really enjoyed them. They have a wide forefoot, as do I, but they have gotten soft - they flop over like a pair of Chuck Taylors- but they still feel great for a good day hike. They've been EXTREMELY waterproof- treated with Nikwax AQ at the time of purchase and regularly since. Not too supportive with a pack, but very comfy, and well put together.

Use: Long Day Hikes/ Light Packing
Break-in Period: None
Weight: 2 +

These boots fit my feet perfectly: I have duck feet, with a narrow heel and a wide toe span, and the Rogues propelled me over rough trail and miles of road alike with no hotspots. They let me down in the rain, however. I had waxed them thoroughly but they became saturated and stayed that way for 2 days on a 70-mile trek. You get what you pay for, but the fit is a godsend!

Materials: leather
Use: rough, wet trail with moderate pack
Break-in Period: very short
Weight: ?
Price Paid: $50 on sale

I purchased these boots with lighter weight duty in mind, and even though the sole is firm for heavier duty they have worked out well for general hiking and carrying a lighter pack. The quality of leather seems to reflect the price I paid, but no big complaints. The stitching on the multi-piece uppers looks fairly shoddy but seems to be holding up well after a year's all-around use. The boots get saturated easily however, so nixwax or an equivalent is a must. These are decent (but not five-year) boots that, if properly waterproofed, can serve well as a solid hiker and mid-weight boot. If serious loads are in your future, spring for a better boot.

Materials: Leather
Use: mid to heavy backpacking boot
Break-in Period: very short
Price Paid: $60 (Campmor sale)

This is a GREAT boot. I have had some foot problems and troubles getting boots to fit. This boot fit immediately and has re-opened the outdoors for me. Almost zero break-in time. I can now strap on a large pack and wander along nice trails, over rough rocks & ridges or through swamps and wetlands. GREAT boot! Don't miss out on what Asolo has to offer!

Use: Rought trail with 50+ lb pack