Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL1

Vestibule Area 8 sq ft / 0.7 sq m
Footprint Weight 4 oz / 113 g
Number of Seasons 3
Number of Doors 1

Enough room, smart design, lightens the load.

Pros

• 1lb 14 oz trailweight
  • Spacious enough for 1P
  • Large side vestibule

Cons

• Zipper is a stretch to close at end of night
  • No adjustable guy lines on foot of tent

I had the Tiger Wall 2 and sold it to raise some money for a trip. I had seller's regret. The tent follows a pretty standard tripod pole design, but instead of a front vestibule, the vestibule is on the side. This increases accessibility and makes for a nicer vestibule.

The tent is really light. Even with the footprint (which I bought for non-ultralight essential travel) it comes to slightly over two pounds.

The tent is easy to set up. It is stable enough to withstand most all weather that falls into the bell curve. It's a tripod design, so technically the bottom corners need stakes for a tight splay but once you put your pad in the tent, it pushes out the bottom corners so staking out the corners is more for looks than utility. The nice thing about the tri pole design is that you can pitch on rock (which I do often enough)  and it's still freestanding.

I've been in the rain with the UL1 and UL2 and have never had any water issues.

The tent vents well enough if you utilize the top zipper to create a vent or open the door partway. If the weather is wet enough to stop you from doing this, then ventilation is a moot point.

There's an overhead stow pocket and a side pocket.

Packs down to about 5" x 14".

I like that I can fit a full size pad  (25") in the tent and not feel mushed.

IMG-0281.jpg
With a 25" wide full size pad
IMG-0280.jpg
With an overstuffed -10°F bag
IMG-0279.jpg
Pitches taut enough, but can have some sag by morning
IMG-0264.jpg

IMG-0246.jpg
Can bring it anywhere with the 1lb 14oz trail weight.

Experience

I have brought the Tiger Wall 1 on a number of outings over the past two seasons. Conditions ranged from warm, to rainy, to snow.

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Great review, Jesse! Do you still miss having the UL2 size?

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

Although it was nice to be able to bring the pack inside of my tent at night with the 2P, when I measured the vestibule size, and saw it was plenty big for a pack, it seemed logical to me to cut some more weight and go with the solo. I do 75%+ of my outings solo so it's perfect. I will say to anyone who wants a ton of solo space with a 2lb 3oz weight, go for the UL2.

Thanks. That makes sense, Jesse.

I just saw that Big Agnes is introducing Solution Dye versions of its Tiger Walls and Fly Creeks for 2021 (less water and energy consumption during manufacturing), including the backpacking and bike packing UL2 Tiger Walls:

Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody Review