Black Diamond RockLock Magnetron

rated 1.5 of 5 stars (1)
photo: Black Diamond RockLock Magnetron locking carabiner

Price Current Retail: $23.96-$29.95
Historic Range: $17.47-$29.95

Large auto locking carabiner. Not worth this girl's money.

Pros

• Magnetic auto lock

Cons

• Too big
  • Difficult to release with one hand

I purchased this biner because of its size and the magnetic catch. I like a larger biner for a double line munter (as a backup plan in case something goes wrong with my Reverso). I thought it may pose a problem for ice but that was not the issue.

The magnetic catch is not an ergonomic fit for me. I have small to medium woman's hands and when I reach for release it is just out of my grasp. Only by millimetres! What a pain in the butt! I then have to release it without gripping the full biner in one hand. If you are a climber, you know that's a gong show! — and has the potential to be unsafe.

For now, I've problem solved this by putting this piece of gear in time out.

For men — it's a very cool piece of kit designed more for you :)  I recommend it as the magnetic catch is cool and performs ok as long as it doesn't ice up.

Price Paid: 24 cdn

snigjs

Hi Patti. have you tried the Magnetron Vaprolock Carabiner? Same magnetic catch but smaller and lighter and pear-shaped.

Patti LePoidevin

Hi! Thanks for the question. I've been buying mostly trad gear this year so I haven't paid much attention to the magnetron biners. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll take a close look next time I'm in MEC. ...I'm curious...