photo: Black Diamond Snaggletooth crampon

Rather than a typical centered monopoint, the Snaggletooth crampon uses an offset monopoint along with a smaller horizontal frontpoint. This configuration aligns the monopoint with the big toe for power and poise, while the secondary tooth provides additional stability. The versatile Snaggletooth is suited for the mixed conditions of alpine climbs.

Weight 890 g

Good precision and grip, but slightly heavy. I bought…

Summary

Good precision and grip, but slightly heavy.

Pros

• Precistion
  • Durability
  • Grip

Cons

• Weight
  • Price

I bought them for mixed climbing routes with a lot of rock climbing involved and they proved very adequate for the task indeed. I used them with a pair of La Sportiva Baturas and they performed very well with great feeling and precision.

However there was this incident on the downclimb when one of the crampons suddenly came off without particular reason. I had them fitted really hard, so I don't know what happened but since then I am a bit cautious.

By the way, the above text was first published on the Black Diamond's homepage, but even though the crampons were given 5/5 stars, the text was moderated and removed. So the reviews there are filtered.

Welcome to Trailspace, Hossein! Thanks for the review of your BD crampons. I hope you'll keep us posted on how they continue to fit and work out.

G00SE

I rented crampons for my climb on Mt. Rainier, and one came off on the ascent. My guide was yelling at me for being "irresponsible," and I kept thinking, "You guys okay'd me before we set out on the climb."

Hossein Kavianipour

I used the same combination on Kebnekaise in Sweden a week ago and they held up just fine. However it was not really a mixed climbing but more like ice and snow climbing. Our guide mentioned that for mixed climbing with a lot of rocky sections you really don't want a front bail type of crampons but rather strap type to add flexibility (which comes on the expense of precision). If you must use front bail than the crampons must fit REALLY tight. Maybe that was the problem...