Brooks-Range Ultralite Solo Tarp

rated 0.5 of 5 stars

Brooks-Range is no longer in business, and the Ultralite Solo Tarp has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best tarps and shelters for 2021.

photo: Brooks-Range Ultralite Solo Tarp tarp/shelter

Price MSRP: $75.00
Historic Range: $62.95-$99.95
Reviewers Paid: $60.00

This tarp does not hold up, and does not keep a single word promised in the information from Brooks-Range.

Pros

• None!

Cons

• The tarp is not waterproof at all!
  • Small for 1 person.
  • Velcro will tangle with the attached lines.

I have had this tarp for two years. I've only used it twice. Once on one winter hike to cover up the lean-to, and once on a hike in the Whites in the month of August. I was using it in combination with my Rab eVent bivy that I normally only use during the winter. The tarp is very small for 1 person and it can only just be done under perfect conditions. I was setting camp at the Liberty Springs campsite on the Franconia ridge. It was a wet night but I thought I'd be okay.

This tarp is as waterproof as a cotton jersey! The water is penetrating right through the tarp. I've since checked on the Brooks-Range website where they have a review stating they the fabric is waterproof, and they state themselves that its waterproof up to 1 lb per square inch.

From my point of view, it should be illegal to make such statements for outdoor equipment! I made it through the night but everything was soaked. I knew this already when I went to bed, because the rain was raining on me through the tarp!!

FORLOH Deep Space Half Zip Long Sleeve Top Review