CamelBak TransAlp

rated 5.00 of 5 stars (3)

The TransAlp has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best hydration packs for 2020.

photo: CamelBak TransAlp hydration pack

(no Gender)
Price Historic Range: $99.99-$120.00
Reviewers Paid: $120.00-$130.00

I literally have 9 hydration packs. The TransAlp was…

Design: TransAlp
Size: L
Number of Pockets: enough
Max. Load Carried: 25 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2"
Price Paid: Don't recall

I literally have 9 hydration packs. The TransAlp was my first. I've been adventure racing with this pack for almost 10 years. Despite all the others i have (GoLite, Salomon, Mole, Blackburn...I've tried them all) I keep coming back to this one. It's my favorite for all lengths of races. I love it!!!

I love the TransAlp. I have used it as a schoolbag…

Design: Rucksack with built in hydration system
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: appx. 20 pounds
Height of Owner: 6 feet 2 inches

I love the TransAlp. I have used it as a schoolbag and a tavel bag. It works for anything, and it can comfortably haul any load I can put in it. The rain cover is an added bonus.

This is the largest hydration system day pack that…

Design: rucksack
Size: 2000
Number of Pockets: 4+
Max. Load Carried: 20lbs
Height of Owner: 5'10"

This is the largest hydration system day pack that CamelBak makes. As you might expect, it is essentially a rucksack wrapped around a CamelBak hydration system bladder. As such, I'd say it leads this ever-growing segment of the market.

It is very feature-rich. The pocket closest to your back houses the hydration bladder in an insulated compartment. The hose emerges out from the top of this compartment through a hole and then comes out and can be clipped to your shoulder straps. There is actually room for another full bladder to be stored in this pocket if you are a two-bladder-per-day person.

The middle pocket is the main cargo area. It is a simple, top-loading affair with enough room for rain gear, fleece, mittens and socks.

Next is a smaller (again top-loading) pocket for a (slim) first aid kit, headlamp, maps, compass, etc.

Finally, there is a smaller front-loading pocket only large enough for energy bars, car keys, etc.

Finally, finally, there is elasticized mesh on the outside rear and sides of the pack that might fit a cycling helmet - but I find most useful for a windshirt; or even better, as a place to stow smelly sweaty shirts that I change out of. In the exposed mesh it gives them a nice place to air out.

The construction and materials seem quite good. The suspension is pretty decent for a rucksack - no frame to speak of...

This is an excellent day-hiking pack when you need to bring a bit more along with you than you could fit in one of the small hydration packs.