Camp Chef Pie Irons

photo: Camp Chef Pie Irons utensil

Price Historic Range: $14.88

Works surprisingly well.

Pros

• Works surprisingly well
  • Fun around the camp fire
  • Easier to clean than expected

Cons

• A little heavy

When I was a kid, there were a couple of these things at a cabin my family had.  I wasn’t ever allowed to use them, so of course they fascinated me.

I bought one at REI a short time ago and used it while car camping (it would be too heavy to carry) to make grilled cheese sandwiches over a campfire. It worked really well.

The instructions said to butter the bread before putting it into the iron. Instead, I heated the iron over the coals and then used a stick of butter to lube the inside. The bread didn’t fit perfectly due to variations in bread size, so a little poked out the side beyond what was clamped in the sides of the iron – I trimmed this off, but the instructions say you can let this burn off.

I was worried that it would be easy to burn the sandwich, but even though the fire was very hot (thank goodness for long handles!) that wasn’t a problem. I did take it away from the fire and open it up to check a couple times to check on browning (and I was holding over the coals, not sticking it in the coals.). This is cast iron – not sure if the cast aluminum ones burn more quickly due to less thermal mass.

Cleanup was not bad — by lubing it up well, I only had to wipe it down with paper towels and then a more thorough wash when I got home.

Anyone have any suggestions on other sandwiches to cook in it?

Price Paid: Don't recall

g00se

This stirs up memories of camping with my parents. Thanks for the flashback!

Bushka’s Kitchen Lentil Lunch Review