Coghlan's Water-Based Seam Seal

photo: Coghlan's Water-Based Seam Seal seam sealer

Price Current Retail: $4.39
Reviewers Paid: $3.00

Bought this seam sealer because I do things on the cheaper side. Within the first year it was pealing off. Plus it dried white in color. I applied it to a newer tent that never leaked. So I can't say how good it worked. But pealing off within the first year turned me off. I'll keep making my own seam sealer!

Works well.

Pros

• Water based
  • Soaks into thread stitching

Cons

• Not a hermetic seal

I have used this with success on nylon tent floor perimeter seams and rainfly seam.  Neither were reinforced with tape and this has lasted over 8 years, 8-16 days, four seasons per year without reapplication.

I have just applied to the opposite side of taped seams of a new tent. This works well as it saturates the thread and seals the stitched holes.

This comes with a push to open top with brush attached. Application is easy: shake before use, invert, lightly squeeze bottle to saturate the brush and apply. It goes on clear in a thin coat that dries to invisible.

It will not provide a seal that will hold water as a taped seam does, but it will protect from driven rain and snow. It stops the weeping that can occur where a sewing needle pierces the fabric.

Welcome to Trailspace, BrussellsSprout! Thanks for the review.