I bought this coat precisely because I needed a coat…

I bought this coat precisely because I needed a coat that could live up to my demands - nicely water-resistant, but pretty easy to adapt to various conditions, high-tech enough to breathe easy and protect against the wind, but rugged enough to withstand being used for non-snow-sport outdoors work.

This coat is very heavy-duty, generally-speaking, and the material takes casual scuffs and nicks well. But heat - this coat melts like a marshmallow after incidental contact with hot metal (like the muffler on a two-stroke engine). Took a moment to destroy the coat that I had enjoyed for over a year. I thought it was akin to treated canvas - but no - very quick-melting synthetic, no matter how heavy and stiff it seems.

I used to have a North Face jacket I bought over 10 years ago that's only fault was it lost its ability to repel water after so much use - never had this problem with it. It was expensive then (and the same style is just as expensive now), and I thought it was time to try something new, but I was wrong. I'm going back to a brand that actually follows up on its promises as to ruggedness.

Gave it two and a half stars because it was very nicely water-resistant - if don't need a coat to work in, just to play in, this could be all right, but then, why would you need anything this stiff and heavy?

I got this parka as a Christmas present last year-…

Fabric: Nylon/Gortex

I got this parka as a Christmas present last year- I have used it consistently since then on numerous multi-day hiking and camping trips- rough terrain backcountry and inclement weather.

I have had this parka on during two and three thousand foot ascents and descents, then back at the campsite while stoking the campfire with sparks flying like I was welding. I also wear it around town when I am not on the trail. In all the hiking and camping trips and all the campfires, this coat has not picked up one blemish.

Columbia has a winner here- With the pit-zips, the mesh pockets inside the main shell, removable hood, snow skirt, and the system fleece liners available for this parka, this parka becomes a keeper the moment you put it on.

The only criticism I have of this parka is it is heavier than the competitors' lightweight extreme ware- but you have to give something to get the ruggedness this parka offers. It is well worth the weight trade-off to get the ruggedness.

The Psycho Cowboy Parka has been discontinued.

The Columbia Psycho Cowboy Parka is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 21, 2008 at Sierra.

Review Your Gear to Win a Hults Bruk Akka Axe or Helle Wabakimi Knife