DMM Dragon Cam

photo: DMM Dragon Cam camming device

Price Current Retail: $62.00-$129.95
Historic Range: $49.99-$459.70

Pros

• Well built
  • Extending

Cons

• Expensive
  • No thumb loops

I've used Dragons for the past three years and love them. I've climbed with them on granite, limestone, quartzite and sandstone. I've done cragging with them as well as alpine climbing.

The newest version are awesome, and while the weight savings and unanodized lobes are nifty, they don't really add much except piece of mind.

But these are phenomenal cams. The workmanship is superb, and I love not having to grab a draw when placing these on crack routes in particular thanks to the extendable slings. The sizing is straightforward and consistent with the other twin axle cams on the market so you don't have to learn new sizings. The pull is soft and consistent. and they place like any other cam I've used.

The BDs are the obvious comparison, and while the Dragons lack a thumb loop, making them challenging to use for aid climbing, they do feel a little more robust. Subjectively I prefer the balance of them, and find them easier to handle in awkward places, though I prefer the length of the Wild Country Friends for deep cracks.

Price Paid: 80

Nice review and video, Tam!

Want Two Puffy Jackets from Rab?

Six Moon Designs Minimalist V2 Review