EMS Rainbreaker Jacket

rated 4.0 of 5 stars

The Rainbreaker Jacket has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best waterproof jackets for 2020.

Price Reviewers Paid: $69.99

I needed a breathable/waterproof jacket under 100 bucks so after doing some research I decided on the Rainbreaker jacket from Eastern Mountain Sports. Since this jacket was on sale I decided to give it a try. I used this jacket extentively on last year's backpacking excursions in Pennsylvania's Allegheny National Forest and on local dayhikes in the Cuyahoga Valley and I have mixed views concerning its weatherproofing.

I personally never got soaked using the Rainbreaker but I notice the outer shell "wetting out" and the factory applied DWR wearing off which I suspect for the "wetting out". The outer shell "beads" water were the DWR is still on. I even treated this jacket with DWR restorer but still "wet outs" in places. But I never got soaked however wearing this jacket, regardless how hard it rained. The Rainbreaker utilizes the EMS System III waterproof/breathable coating (or laminate?) which I believe keeps me dry.

Breathability is fairly good and I like the vents under the arms and chest vents for extra ventilation when needed. The hood appears to fit fairly well without the sometimes vision obstuction I found on other jackets. I will continue to use this jacket until it no longer functions and then consider a Gore-Tex jacket to replace the Rainbreaker.

Fabric: nylon
Price Paid: $69.99 (sale price)

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter