Eureka! Solitaire AL

rated 4.0 of 5 stars
photo: Eureka! Solitaire AL three-season tent

The Solitaire AL replaced the Eureka! Solitaire.

Price MSRP: $109.95
Pole Attachment Pole Sleeves, Post & Grommet
Main Pole 8.5 mm 7000-Series Aluminum
Secondary Pole 7000-Series Aluminum
Inner Body Fabric 68D 185T Polyester taffeta

Great, affordable one-person, three-season backpacking tent.

Pros

• Roof zipper
  • Ease of pitching
  • Weight
  • Screen area
  • Construction
  • Aluminum poles

Cons

• Needs to be fully staked and guy-wired for maximum size and optimal shape
  • Setup instructions could be better

I purchased this recently (summer 2020), so it came with the aluminum poles. I wanted a small, lightweight backpacking tent. The dimensions are what they are: this is a one-person (two adults could squeeze in in an emergency) low-profile tent.

It goes up easily. However the stake positioning can be somewhat confusing at first. I love the roof zipper that allows standing access and egress, and the attached fly. Two triangular internal pockets are a nice feature. I have not had it in the rain yet, so I can’t speak of its waterproofing qualities.

Quality seems top-notch.

Experience

backpacking and bike camping

Welcome to Trailspace, Joe! Thanks for sharing a review of your Solitaire. If you have any pictures of it in use, we'd love to see those in your review too. Thanks!

It ain't a tent and it ain't a bivi! It is small, lightweight, but does the job.

Pros

• Light
  • Cheap
  • Excellent value
  • Bug proof

Cons

• Can't sit up
  • Fiddly to get a tauny pitch
  • Needs a footprint

Bought one of these 3 years ago and  had a good run with it in alpine three-season travel. It has a flimsy tray ground sheet and had to have a sturdy footprint made from Tyvek for my purposes.

It is waterproof, storm proof pitched tail to the wind, the space inside is low, you can't sit up, but worst of all in bad weather there is no possibility to cook inside without having rain inside the entrance on the ground sheet.

I have swapped this for a medium size tarp and bug net with great success, more room and so versatile!

Experience

Many years of back country travel

The most important thing would be it's not free-standing. The model from Canada has better poles that are made of aluminum not fiberglass.

Pros

• Light
  • Compact
  • Breathable
  • Light

Cons

• Areas to enter the tent

I have used this tent at least twenty times in sun, rain, and snow! I sealed it once when I first picked it up and never had a problem with leaks!

Its entrees are at one end and through the top, which takes a bit of getting used to. Lots of ventilation so never had any condensation issues at all. Weighs in at less then 3 pounds and cost less then $100.

I really recommend this tent if you're new to going lighter. Great tent to start with. I purchased the Canadian model due to the fact the poles are aluminum, whereas the USA model has fiberglass (not as strong). It's pretty much a bivy style tent so it's not free standing. For the price you can't go wrong!!

Price Paid: $90 cad

Bobby Shields

Sorry guys I mean it weights in at less then 3lbs.

g00se

Thanks for the review, Bobby. If you look to the top of your review (next to the July 8 date), there is an edit button that you can change the weight. I was thinking under 2lbs was a great weight! Also, can you post pictures? This enter through the top thing has got me curious.

Thanks for joining Trailspace and sharing your review, Bobby. Goose is right that you can edit and update the review as much as you like. I edited the weight for you. Thanks again!

I have one with aluminum poles.

My tent came with aluminum poles and they have held up well. I don't know if this is a change to try to fix the pole breakage problems or if that's just what Eureka chose to sell in Canada, but it's lighter and stronger and seems to do the job.

g00se

Welcome to Trailspace, Colin. Thanks for taking the time to review your tent.

Welcome to Trailspace, Colin! Do you have any pictures of your Solitaire in use to share in your review? How long have you been using yours?