Five Ten Dome

Reviewers Paid: $20.00
Women's
Price MSRP: $144.95
Historic Range: $41.99-$115.96

This low, approach-type hiking shoe with 5-10's proprietary Stealth rubber sole performs very well for day hiking on and off trial and, especially, for rock scrambling and climbing approaches. It's very lightweight; has a more aggressive tread than the 5-10 Camp 4, but not the same stiffness. I use both models, but this has become my "go to" hiking shoe.

Pros

• lightweight
  • super grippy Stealth rubber soles
  • durable, all-leather uppers

Cons

• difficuly lacing system
  • extra-wide exterior sole in mid-foot

Five-Ten correctly describes this shoe as: "essentially a hiking shoe on a trail running last."

I am an advanced-level day hiker / scrambler and use my shoes once or twice a week in Red Rock Canyon (winter) and the Spring Mountains (summer).  I have narrow, low-volume feet and find they fit just right.  (I use Green Superfeet in lieu of provided insoles.)

The shoes are comfortable, needed no break-in, and have proven very durable on the sharp limestone on the Spring Mountains. I've had mine for about six months and with 100+ miles, they are still like new. They have super traction on the sandstone in Red Rock Canyon and provide adequate support for rock scrambling — especially, given their light weight and trail runner-based design. They are not as stiff as my 5-10 Camp 4s, but not as heavy, either.

These shoes are not water-resistant, but I treated mine with Nikwax and am happy with the result. With no Gortex-type membrane, they run fairly cool — a good thing here in the desert surrounding Las Vegas.

Two minor gripes: the lacing system and the extra-wide sole in the mid-foot area. The lacing system uses small alloy cylinders as lace guides (in lieu of traditional grommets) and these make tightening a bit of a challenge due to the friction. But, once tight, they stay tight.

The wide outsole is probably designed to fight pronation — remember, these are semi-trail running shoes — but when scrambling, it interferes with edging by creating too much offset from the rock.

All and all, these are my "go to" hiking shoes this year.

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Mountain Gear's Red Rock Rendezvous outdoor climbing festival)

Great shoe for scrambling to the climbing rocks. Comfortable with a wide outsole for stability.

Pros

• Stability
  • Comfort

I use the shoe to hike to the rocks where I top rope climb. There are a lot of boulders and treacherous steep areas that are slick, cambered, and edged that I must hike through to get to the climbing areas. The shoe had good traction and a wide platform that makes it very stable for the cambered and edged areas.

They also double as a low hiking shoe that is lightweight but capable of handling a 20 lb. backpack.

I disagree with the reviewer in that I had no problem with the lacing.

I got these for $20 at Five Ten's outlet store in Redlands. What a bargain for such a fantastic shoe.

Bargain! Thanks for the review, JJB.

FORLOH Deep Space Half Zip Long Sleeve Top Review