Garmin GPSMap 76CS

The GPSMap 76CS has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best handheld gps receivers for 2021.

photo: Garmin GPSMap 76CS handheld gps receiver

Price Historic Range: $489.98-$500.00

I disagree with previous reviewers, because it is possible to load my own data into the GARMIN GPSmap 76CS. I have used the DNR Garmin extension (V 5.4.1) "Downloaded for free" for this purpose and loaded my own shapefiles into the GPS.

Also, I don’t forget to mention other tools, which may help to convert various formats to shapefiles such as the interoperability extension in ArcMap and additional formats in the GPSBabel tool.

I have been using a Lowrance Global Nav 212 for eight years and just got the 76CS. As the previous reviewer stated, you can only load Garmin maps into this unit but I don't know of any handheld unit which allows you to load maps other than that brand's maps. You have to use a laptop with a gps connected to do that. Not convenient for boating or hunting.

The 76CS has a bright colorful display, very good battery life, and more features than you will believe. Buy it.

Price Paid: 559.00 CDN

I am a professional forester. I am disappointed with the product because I cannot load my own maps into the unit, a feature that would be extremely useful in forestry. Garmin will only allow their own maps to be uploaded.

Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket Review