Lightweight and packable synthetic jacket that is…

Price Paid: £80 sterling

Summary

Lightweight and packable synthetic jacket that is warm for its weight.

Pros

• Warm for its weight
  • Windproof
  • Packable
  • Three pockets

Cons

• Packs away in a separate stuffsack (which risks getting lost)

This jacket weighs just 323 grams (11.4oz). It is obviously not for very cold weather, but it is warm for its weight. On one occasion I was walking in a bitingly cold gale force wind. Where I live the temperature does not go below freezing even in winter, but with windchill taken into account it must have been close to freezing on that occasion. It was certainly cold enough to make me put on my gloves. Yet I felt neither the cold nor the wind under this jacket.

On that occasion I was walking with a heavy pack and I do not know whether the jacket would have been enough to keep me warm had I not been moving. However I have also worn this jacket outside my tent in the evening in temperatures down to 10°C (50°F) and it has kept me reasonably warm.

The jacket has an external chest pocket as well as hand pockets. The hand pockets are elevated for compatibility with a rucksack hipbelt. The pockets have microzips which are barely visible when closed, so initially I was afraid that the zips would snag. But I'm happy to report that they open and close freely.

DSC00800_800.jpg

The jacket has a separate stuffsack which you will need to be careful not to lose. The jacket makes a compact package as the photo shows. But I would have preferred it if the jacket were packable in its own pocket.

As regards size, I am 6'1" with a 41-inch chest and the large is an excellent fit.

The Haglofs Barrier Pro II Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 9, 2018 at Backcountry.com.

Six Moon Designs Minimalist Review