Weight 2.1 oz

Ultralight hammock suspension system for the weight…

Price Paid: $29.99 plus shipping

Summary

Ultralight hammock suspension system for the weight conscious backpacker.

Pros

• Ultralightweight
  • Competitively priced
  • Fast customer service and shipping

Cons

• A titanium hook on the whoopie sling would be nice

I had been looking into ultralight hammocks and ran across Hummingbird Hammocks who manufactures a series of ultralight hammocks designed by an FAA certified parachute rigger. Being the cheapskate hammock-camping skeptic that I am, I purchased Hummingbird Hammocks Tree Strap system for use with an inexpensive hammock I purchased to give hammocks a try.

Regretfully, I can't review their hammocks however they do appear to be a very nice ultralight options.

The Tree Straps consist of two 60" long/1" wide straps mated to 40" Spectra "whoopie slings". The whoopie slings work like a Chinese Finger Torture device, cinching down on itself with increasing pressure as it is pulled on by hanging in the hammock. It's a very simple and very lightweight system.

treeStrapsTrans-Small.png

Hummingbird Hammocks claims a weight of 2.1 oz for the pair. Mine weighed 63g or 2.2 oz (but who's counting). 2.1 or 2.2, it's still the lightest adjustable suspension I've found so far and available direct as an easy, off-the-shelf solution.

My only knock is the lack of a connector to the hammock; there is a simple loop at the end of the whoopie sling. There are very tiny titanium hooks available that could be used here.  To Hummingbird's credit, they designed the Tree Straps to work with their hammocks, not some third-party hammock as in my case.

Thanks for sharing this review, John!

G00SE

This is a smart idea. Traditionally, the Whoopie Sling girth hitches onto the hammock. But that won't work given the way it attaches to the tree. I'm not sure you can save weight, as you need a 'biner. But I like the connection point--no more spike hitches.

Twig

Nice review John. I have the same straps (came with my hammock) and agree wholeheartedly about the hooks. SO I bought a pair of the Dutchware whoopie hooks-$16 (actually mine are the speed hooks but they have been discontinued). I also ordered a 10" loop turner splicing tool ($6) from Dutch so I could start splicing stuff myself. I found it really easy to take apart the adjustable loop and add the hooks...took me 5 minutes tops. so now I can just hook the straps into the continuous loop on the hammock (which is much easier than fiddling with the soft shackles). All my hammocks have this set-up, so the straps are interchangeable. I am interested to see how these lighter straps and spectra line hold up to my other straps with amsteel. Hope this helps.

John Foy

GOOSE: Dutchwaregear.com offers titanium "Dutch Biners" for hammocks that weigh 10g each. That's one easy solution that would shave 36g off my situation. Lah's solution is a bit tougher but would shave another 13g off in my case. Lah: Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll give that a try!

The Hummingbird Hammocks Tree Straps is not available from the stores we monitor.

NRS H2Core Silkweight Hoodie Review