Isobaa Merino 200 Zip Neck Hoodie

photo: Isobaa Merino 200 Zip Neck Hoodie base layer top

Material 200gm 18.5 micron Superfine 100% Merino wool
Use base layer for a multitude of activities from skiing and hiking, to cycling and running
Price £105

Isobaa's Merino 200 Zip Neck Hoodie is a high performance hoodie that looks great on the trail or around the home. Made from ethically-sourced merino wool, the top has great thermal properties, breathes well, and is quick drying and naturally odour-resistant. This hoodie will ensure you are comfortable in any weather conditions—while running, hiking, cycling, or other outdoor activities— either on its own or as part of a layering system.

Pros

• Practical
  • Looks great (comes in a variety of colours)
  • Good thermal properties
  • Breathes well
  • Naturally quick drying
  • Odour resistant
  • Sound ethical principles
  • Snug fit

Cons

• Price
  • Washing/drying is a little more involved than synthetic materials

IMG_20210410_085207.jpg
It's my go-to top for trail running at dawn when it is cooler.

Isobaa and Merino

Isobaa is a British company that produces garments made from merino wool sourced with care from suppliers with a strong emphasis on ethical and environmental standards.

Made from superfine 200gm 18.5 micron merino wool, the Merino 200 Zip Neck Hoodie is a very versatile, comfortable, and great looking hoodie which can be worn for technical activities or for casual wear. I have worn it as a single layer when trail running, as part of a layering system when out on the hill, running in freezing temperatures, and even at work.

Among the advantages of merino wool is that it is a sustainable product and that it retains its thermal properties, even when wet. Merino wool also has a wide comfort range, keeping you warm when it's cold and breathing well when it's warm. Isobaa's hoodie breathes really well during aerobic activities, which is a big tick for me, as well as being quick-drying and naturally odour-resistant.

I have worn the hoodie on consecutive days for my morning runs and there is no noticeable odour, especially when compared with my synthetic tops where odour is much more noticeable after a couple of runs.

Construction and Fit

I was impressed the moment I received the hoodie. It came in an attractive, fully recycled cardboard box. Luckily, it is my favourite colour so I was quite relieved when I took it out of the box.

It's also constructed with a number of features. It features a half YKK zip front for venting and easy on/off. I particularly like the flatlock stitching as this gives the hoodie a much more comfortable feel. The raglan sleeves reduce chafing from rucksack straps and I felt comfortable when I carried a heavier load.

The cut is generous in length and sufficiently covers my torso for warmth and comfort and when tucked in it did not come out, something I find really annoying in shorter tops. Despite the length, the hoodie is sufficiently snug to trap warmth but not so tight as to feel uncomfortable.

My weight has fluctuated a fair amount in the last year, but the fabric has retained its stretch throughout and the fit has remained snug and retained its shape even with many washes.

The sleeves are just the right length—which is a bonus for me as I think my arms are a little on the short side—and the thumb loops are useful for keeping the back of my hands covered on cold, frosty morning runs. I have not needed to wear a pair of gloves yet thanks to this feature.

IMG_20210410_083603.jpg
The hood, zip, and thumb loops are very useful.

In addition to this zip neck hoodie in men's and women's, Isobaa offers a variety of merino tops in weights from superfine 180mg up to heavyweight 320gm, as well as tights, short sleeve tops, and accessories.

Use

Isobaa designed the Merino 200 Zip Neck Hoodie as a base layer for a variety of activities, including skiing, hiking, cycling, and running.

I've had this top to test for the past six months and have used it regularly for morning runs, as well as some camping and backpacking expeditions. For me, the appeal of this hoodie is that it can be worn on its own or as part of a layering system for warmth and comfort. I also enjoy lounging around the house in it.

Merino Care

One disadvantage of merino wool is that it takes slightly more effort to wash and dry. It must be washed on a wool cycle (Isobaa recommends  30°C; never use hot water due to shrinkage), preferably with a delicate laundry detergent, and it should be dried flat.

That being said, the washing process will only produce microfibers which are biodegradable, and it will air dry reasonably quickly. Also, it’s less necessary to wash merino clothing after every wear, so you can wear the top for several days before needing to wash it, thanks to its odour-resistance.

Value and Environmental Ethics

There’s also the price tag to consider. The Merino 200 Zip Neck Hoodie currently retails for $140/£105, so it’s not cheap. Producing quality products that place ethical and environmental considerations at the heart of the business—from the sheep to the people who manufacture the garment—comes at a price.

Isobaa sources its wool from Australia, and says it chose its supplier based on ethical treatment of the sheep with no mulesing process. The top is then made in China by an internationally audited factory to confirm that working conditions are fair, safe, and environmentally sound. Lastly, the company's packaging is made from recycled and recyclable materials like cardboard, paper, and jute string.

Recommendation

It is down to the consumer to decide if they are willing to pay for a versatile merino wool top like this. I for one would happily buy another one should the need arise. The Isobaa Merino 200 Zip Neck Hoodie's combination of good looks, performance, and ethical considerations make it an outdoor winner for me.

hoodie.jpg
I've practically lived in this Isobaa merino hoodie since receiving it.

Experience

Six months of use including morning runs, often in freezing temperatures, Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) expedition work, lounging around the house, and casual wear.

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (sample for testing and review provided by Isobaa)

About the Author

Oliver Brotherton lives in Hampshire, England, where he works as a Forest School teacher, which means he can be found in the woods all year round in all weathers. Oliver also assesses Duke of Edinburgh expeditions. In his spare time he loves bushcraft, cooking on an open fire, and backpacking on long distance trails and in the mountains. He also enjoys trail running and cycling for fitness.

robert clark

Wool is great, but there is another downside-if you store it over summer without washing it beforehand, it will be eaten by small insects, especially if it is super fine micron. (or you can use fumigants)

Oliver Brotherton

Yes, I keep all my wool based garments carefully stored away to avoid this.

Looks like a really nice top, Oliver. Thanks for letting us know how it's worked out so far, and sharing some pics. Please keep us posted on its long-term durability too.

Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Review