Keen Targhee II - Men's

rated 2.5 of 5 stars (3)

The Men's Targhee II has been discontinued. It was replaced by the Keen Targhee III Waterproof.

If you're looking for something new, check out the best trail shoes for 2019.

photo: Keen Men's Targhee II trail shoe

Price MSRP: $120.00
Historic Range: $107.99-$124.95
Reviewers Paid: $110.00-$119.00

I have been wearing the Targee II's for a number of…

I have been wearing the Targee II's for a number of years now. They are probably my all time favorite shoe. My first pair lasted a good while but eventually split a toe seam. I bought a new pair and with very little use other than an out to dinner, once in a while kind deal, the toe area split on the new pair.

I contacted Keen and let them know that I exected nothing on the first pair. I really didn't even expect much on the new pair other than maybe a little pro-rated help on a replacement third pair (sent detailed pictures also).

The second pair was worn so sparingly but was older than one year and the factory refused any help in any way. I have never had the problem with any other shoe or boot that I have ever worn of any type and you can see in both pair that the material overlap was extremely minimal to hold the joint together.

I like the shoe so much that I brought a third pair and only wear them at times where my dogs want to enjoy themselves and keep watch over the seam. I have seen a similar failure on a Targhee II in Vermont where I actually stopped the person and asked about them.

The Targhee II in my opinion is a great shoe but the customer service aspect of the manufacture was nonexistent in my case.

Soles started falling to pieces after only a month…

Summary

Soles started falling to pieces after only a month or so.

This is my second pair of Targhee IIs. My first pair were worn most days for 2-3 years, including much wilderness hiking as well as city walking. I ended up replacing them when the wear on the heel became obvious—they were great.

The new pair are at the other end of the spectrum as far as quality. It seems that the glue used to hold the layers of the sole together was substandard. Part of the tread started peeling away after only a few weeks and now it looks like a whole layer will fall off soon. It's been less than a year.

20181125_155902.jpg

20181125_155920.jpg

20181125_155939.jpg

20181125_155956.jpg

20181125_160002.jpg

Too bad about your new Targhees not holding up, Martin. If you have some pictures to show how they've come apart, those would be helpful to see in your review.

Martin Payne

Uploaded as requested

Thanks, Martin!

1 year ago

Overall this has been a very comfortable shoe. I have…

Materials: leather
Use: short dayhikes, rought trail dayhikes with daypack, anything up to 8 miles.
Break-in Period: 2 weeks

Overall this has been a very comfortable shoe. I have used them on a variety of trails and terrain. From sand trails to rugged rock slides. They grip really well and once broken in are very comfortable.

The downside that I am most upset about this shoe is how long they are lasting. Either I am very tough on my shoes or the rubber soles on these things are cheap. I bought them last April 08 and they are almost completely wore out. And I am not hiking every day here. I have had other hiking shoes hold up longer.

The rest of the shoe is fine, but the rest of it is wearing out like someone doing burnouts with offroad tires if you know what I mean.

On second note, it's worth getting the Gore-tex model, I opted for cheap 20$ less for the non and every time I step in a puddle I regret it.

Out for Testing

The Keen Targhee II is out for testing and review!

Members of Trailspace's Review Corps product-testing program are currently testing the Keen Targhee II. Stay tuned for reviews of this trail shoe from .

Do you have questions about the Keen Targhee II?
Send them to reviewcorps@trailspace.com and we'll do our best to address them in our upcoming review.

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All Targhee II versions

In addition to the 3 men's reviews above, there are 3 reviews for other versions of the Targhee II. Read all reviews »