Kora Shola 230 Crew

rated 5.0 of 5 stars (1)
photo: Kora Shola 230 Crew base layer top

Price MSRP: $145.00
Reviewers Paid: $150.00

Warm, soft, well-fitting, comfortable even in warmer…

Summary

Warm, soft, well-fitting, comfortable even in warmer temperatures.

Pros

• Yak wool, soft, warm
  • Not itchy, at all
  • Better than even Merino
  • Commitment to Fair Trade practices

Cons

• Pricey

It's been years since I've lived in a climate cold enough for a base layer. Actually it's been 13 years... I remember them as itchy, uncomfortable, and most of the time I would rather freeze than wear them.

I definitely have needed them since returning, and I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a set for the upcoming winter, which the Farmer's Almanac says will be one of the coldest winters in some time.

I typically would not need more than one or two sets, as temperatures usually moderate after no more than a week, so I decided to splurge on the set from Kora.

It has performed as advertised and test reports. The fit is excellent, and the wool is soft, and is comfortable enough to wear as a long sleeved crew shirt in windy 70°F weather.

My expectations have been exceeded.

Thanks for letting us know how this baselayer is working for you so far, Thurman. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it works out over winter use. What type of activities are you wearing it for?

G00SE

WOW! $150 for a baselayer? Did you have to buy the entire yak? It looks comfortable, but I'm flabbergasted at the price.

I won't argue that $150 is a lot for a shirt (side note though: I just read an article suggesting we should spend much more on good quality clothing and therefore buy much less and really value what we have), but there is an intereting backstory to the Kora company. The founder started the company to give Himalayan communities dependable incomes by developing the yak wool fabric and buying direct from nomadic herders at fair prices. Check out its story and mission here: http://www.kora.net/usa/our-story

Thurman W

Doesn't need to be washed much, and one good pair is the equal of 5 terrible pair, IMHO. I bought a set for my son, too.

Thurman W

I will use it on the walk trek to work in Winter, hiking, and traveling... Nothing too intense... The cold gets intense, here. According to the Farmer's Almanac, this will be the worst winter for a very long time, it can get to -72F with wind chill.

Thanks, Thurman. I hope you'll keep us updated on how it works out for you this winter.