L.L.Bean Microlight Ul 2-Person Backpacking Tent

Very lightweight, freestanding tent for two (-ish).

Summary

Very lightweight, freestanding tent for two (-ish). This is not for the tall (although it is longer than most 2p UL's) or wide, but as seen in the pics, it fits two Klymit Static V's with about a foot to spare in length. I measured interior head space and get 40 inches. LL Bean's website says 36 inches, so I was happy to have the extra 4 inches.

Glad to finally make a trek to Southern Utah to put this to the test! Tent went through a wet night with 20+ MPH winds with no issues. Then a night in the 20's with no condensation issues. Then several nights in the 40's where it performed very well.

This tent is quickly becoming a favorite. It has resisted many nights and days in the rain, with 20+ mile per hour winds. I keep looking for the ultimate UL tent and keep coming back to this.

Pros

• Very light, 3lbs 1 oz on my scale for everything.
  • 30 sq ft—bigger than many other UL's in its weight class.
  • Stitching is very even and well done
  • Freestanding—only the fly vestibules would need to be staked out.
  • 90" long provides extra space for packs at our feet.
  • 52" wide at the top also provides space for shoes at the door, ready to go.
  • Excellent netting keeps mosquitoes at bay (unfortunately I tested this capability fully).

Cons

• Small size for two—could use an extra 6 inches in length
  • No gear loft attachments
  • No ventilation in the fly
  • Walls are not as vertical as some, reducing interior space.

tent-and-goats.jpg
20190419_194550.jpg

20190421_065944.jpg
20190213_091222.jpg

I'm 5'10" (plus an inch or two of hair) and could sit up in the tent with a few inches to spare.

20181203_165722.jpg
20181203_164646.jpg
20181129_200631.jpg
My main point of this review is to show the size of the tent. I haven't managed to make it outside yet. The tent packs up small and is very light.

There is ample headroom for two, but it could be a bit longer. I prefer to keep my packs inside the tent to keep creepy crawlers off and out. Ever had a scorpion in your backpack? Ever lost a boot due to a possum? I have, it's not something I want to relive.

I had hoped that the length of the tent would allow the packs to be stored at our feet. And it is very close to working, but won't be 100 percent.

Experience

I have a Cabelas XPG 3 that is super nice, but a tad too big, and with a 1lb 8oz weight penalty I wanted something lighter.

Have had this tent out several times now, with 0 issues. Condensation has been no worse than my Mountainsmith Morrison tent with vents. At 3lbs 1 oz for everything this has been a serious weight saver. It has survived rain and winds with no problem.

Good luck with the tent, Brian. I hope you'll update us on how it works out.

Thanks for the tent update, Brian.