Lansky Small Lockback Pocket Knife

Blade length 2.25 in
Length, open 5.5 in
Length, closed 3.25 in
Weight 1.3 oz.

A low cost EDC folding pocket knife of outstanding quality for the price.

Pros

• Small
  • Bright color
  • Stays sharp: good steel
  • Very low cost

Cons

• None found so far

This wee gem replaced a knife confiscated by airport security last year and though very cheap proved to be a very good buy. Having had it for a year it has done all the things one would use a pocket knife for both on and off trail: cutting cordage, tape, opening packets and meal bags, sharpening tent pegs, making tinder, general camp chores etc. and so far it has not had to be sharpened.

The blade is 2.25 inches, overall 5.5 inches, closed 3.25 inches and weighs a mere 1.3 ounces, and the three colours to choose from are a bonus, I chose yellow as it stands out in my normal environment best.

Lansky EDC

This was a very fortunate find in a Rotorua sports store and has proved to be a far better knife than I expected for the price; Couldn't ask for more.

Thanks for the messages guys! Michael, I agree with your comments and fully endorse that each and everyone has their own take on a product. For my part "It is what it is" and where I live fires are not normally allowed in the open so batoning is a non issue but producing tinder to start a log burning stove (cut wood provided by Dept of Conservation) in a hut is. And this wee gem does that OK. I just like the minimalist approach and this knife suits me just fine.

Experience

A whole lifetime!

Price Paid: NZ$ 11.95

Thanks for the recommendation, Heath.

Michael -Survival Intuition

Nice review Heathcote, I just want to put out there that there are always cons in a product. For example, there is no such thing as a perfect edc knife as what may be great for one may be horrible for someone else.
The blades material, thickness, blade length, blade grind, locking mechanism, etc. can be both a pro and a con
Take the Schrade SCHF57 2.5 drop point fixed blade knife that I did a review on. It is the same blade length as the Lansky but weighs 3 times more, and is twice as thick too. Due to the Schrade's spine, it can be used to split logs via batoning where as the Lansky's spine is curved and cannot be used to split logs.
So a pro is that the Schrade weighs 3 times more but to someone else that wont be splitting logs, the con is that it weighs 3 times more. With regard to the material, a pro is that the Schrade uses more expensive, stronger steel, but the con would be that it costs twice as much as the Lansky.
The hardest part of writing a review on something you love is to find fault with it. What I try to do for the con section is write it as if my ex was writing it. She has much smaller hands, thinner & less callused fingers, far less strong, and with long finger nails and would use a knife for completely different things then I would.

Z Newton

Good idea to review this knife Heath. I agree about the yellow, it was my choice as well. This is an excellent knife for processing meat with its nice sharp point. For the price it is very hard to go past.

andrew f.

Reminds me a little of the spyderco delica. Nice review. PS - worth carrying a padded envelope with home address and postage. TSA will mail your knife if you forgot to take it out of your carry one.

Want Two Puffy Jackets from Rab?

Six Moon Designs Minimalist V2 Review